I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

History of Barking in 1848, Whites Directory

History of Barking

Manor of Barking & Charities - 1848 Whites Directory

The Manor of Barking, which probably formed part of the original endowment of the Abbey, continued in the Crown from the dissolution till 1628, when Charles II sold it to Sir Thomas Fanshawe, for £2000, reserving a fee-farm rent of £160, now payable to the earl of Sandwich. The manor was purchased by Smart Leithieullier Esq in 1754, and it afterwards passed to his niece, who married Edward Hulse Esq, from whom it passed to its present owner, Sir Charles Hulse, Bart, of Breamore, Hants, who is also lord paramount of Becontree Hundred, as noticed at page 210. Mr Edward Sage is the manor steward, and Daniel Watkins, crier of the court. There are several small manors in the parish; and among the other principal landowners, are the earl of Mornington, the Marquis of Salisbury, J S Thompson Esq. the trustees of the late R W H Dare, B De Beauvoir Esq, and Mr B Bond. Among the estates and old manor houses in this extensive parish, we find the following names:- Jenkins, Loxford, Fulkys, Porters, Eastbury, Westbury, Gaysehams Hall, Uphall, Stone hall, Clay hall, Claybury, Great Geries, Aldborough hatch, Bifrons, Highlands etc, but part of them are now in the distinct parish of Great Ilford, which see. Most of them are occupied by farmers. Eastbury House, a large ancient brick building, with an octangular tower, and ornamented chimneys and gables, is on the Dagenham road, and is said to have been the house where the conspirators concerned in the gunpowder plot held their secret meetings, and where, from the top of the great tower, they had hoped to enjoy the savage pleasure of witnessing the result of their machinations, in the blowing up of the British parliament. Parseloes, 2 ½ miles E of the town, is the seat of the Rev T L Fanshawe Esq, and both it and Eastbury House are in the Ripple ward, or Rippleside Ward, which includes a district of marshes extending to the Thames, and contains 467 inhabitants, and 91 scattered houses. This ward is bounded on the south by the Thames, and on the east and west by two rivulets. Bifrons, on the east side of the town, was formerly a handsome residence, with a park; and the latter, with the adjacent marsh, was occupied some years ago by Lord Somerville, for his merino sheep. The house now called Westbury, is the residence of Dr Manley; and Thomas Tyser, gent, has a neat house called Ripple castle. The river flows in two branches, on the west side of the town; and near the wharf is a corn mill, which belonged to the abbey.

Barking Church (St Margaret) is a fine ancient fabric, consisting of a nave, chancel, a south aisle, and two north aisles, running the whole length of the building; and a square embattled tower, containing eight bells and a clock. Against the south wall of the chancel is a monument in memory of Sir Charles Montagu, brother of the first Earl of Manchester, who died in 1625, at the age of sixty one. The figure of Sir Charles is represented sitting in a tent, with his head reclined upon a desk, on which are his helmet and gauntlets; the entrance of the tent is guarded by sentinels, and near it stands a page with his horse. Various other monuments and many funeral inscriptions, are contained in this structure; and near the steps of a small chapel, on the east end of the north aisle, is a marble slab, with mutilated epitaph, supposed by Mr Lethieullier to have been inscribed in memory of Mauritius, who was made Bishop of London in the year 1087. Mr Lysons admits it to be of that age, but imagines it to have commemorated the interment of some other person who was buried during the Bishop’s life. There were three chantries here; and the church was appropriated to the abbey, and the vicar was dieted by the lady abbess. The vicarage, valued in KB at £19 18s 11 ½ d, and in 1831 at £767, has a good residence, and £820 per annum in lieu of tithes. It is the patronage of All Souls College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Hon and rev Robert Liddell. The Marquis of Salisbury is lessee of the rectory, which belongs to All Souls College. In the town is an Independent chapel, built in 1846, in lieu of an old one, which was erected by a congregation formed in 1706. Here are also two small chapels, belonging to Wesleyans and Baptists, and an old Quakers Meeting House; but the latter is now disused, except at funerals. There is a savings bank, with about 700 deposits, amounting to about £18,000, in High Street; and the parish has a large National School, and various charities for the poor.

Until the enactment of the new poor law, and the annexation of barking to Romford Union, the charities of this parish were much controlled by two clauses of a local act of parliament, obtained in the 26th of George III, “for providing  a workhouse, and for the better regulation of the poor of the parish”. One of these clauses enacted, that all the charitable funds not directed to be applied to any particular object, should be applied in aid of poor rates. The other clause gave the “directors of the poor” power to appropriate to the purposes of the act Sir James Campbell’s School, (then in a ruinous condition) and to apply the school income towards the support of a master and mistress, for educating poor children, in an apartment either within or near to the workhouse. The latter is an extensive building, which has recently been let on a 99 years lease, for £100 per annum, and converted into shops and houses. The old school was taken down about 1828, when a large National School was erected on its site, with room for 300 children. The sum of £66 13 s 4d, given for the endowment of the free school, in 1641, by Sir James Campbell, was invested in the purchase of a yearly rent-charge of £20, out of the Double Briggs estate, at Thorne, in Yorkshire; and it is now applied in aid of the National School.

 The “Donative Account” comprises the following charities, the clear annual income of which is applied with the poor rates. Leonard’s Charity to the poor of Barking, is a yearly rent-charge of £2, out of land called Mobert’s. Wm Nutbrowne, in 1596, left a yearly rent-charge of £6 13s 4d, out of the Rectory of Ashe, for the poor of barking, except 13s 4d for two sermons; but the whole is carried to the donative account. In 1641, Sir James Campbell left £200 to this parish, and those of St Olave and St Peter, in London, for the poor, at the discretion of his executors. Of this legacy, £100 was awarded to Barking, and laid out in purchase of 5 ½ acres of pasture land, in Eastbury marsh, now let for about £22 per annum. In 1662, Sir Thomas Fanshawe , KT, gave for the benefit of the poor, the Market House and Tolls of Barking, with seven cottages and a stable, in the market place. The Market House yields only about £4 a year, derived from the fair stallage, and the rest of the property lets for about £26 per annum. The Cotland’s Charity consists of about five acres of ancient poor’s land, let for £25 per annum. It is copyhold of the manor of Barking. In 1614, John Wilde left to the poor a house in East Street, containing four rooms, occupied rent free by poor people, placed in them by the parish officers.

Other Charities – In 1741, Jonathan and Thos Collett laid out £210 in the purchase of land, to provide for a weekly distribution of bread among the poor, at the discretion of the church wardens. This land consist of 6 ½ acres, in Kingsbridge Marsh, let for about £22 per annum. In consideration of Fowke’s Charity, Barking sends two boys, sons of parishioners, to Christs Hospital, London. In 1695, Robt Bertie left about £60 to the Corporation of London, in trust, that they should pay £3 yearly for apprenticing a poor boy of Great Ilford ward. He also left a yearly rent-charge of £3 out of a house in Parker’s lane, in the parish of St Giles in the Fields, to be distributed in weekly doles of bread among the poor of barking town. In 1725, Joseph Dent left a yearly rent-charge of 20s, out of some land adjoining the Creek, to be distributed in bread by the church wardens on Nov 23rd. Mrs Nepton left an estate to the Poulterer’s Company, London, subject to a yearly rent-charge of £40, to be distributed  by them in shares of 5s each, to 160 poor parishioners of Barking. This distribution takes place in March, For distribution in bread by church wardens, Thomas Collett, in 1738, left £100, which was vested in the purchase of £65 15s East India Stock. The yearly dividends (£6 15s) are received by the vicar. In 1818, James Hayes left £4000, three per cent reduced Bank Annuities, in trust, to divide the yearly dividends equally among twelve poor parishioners of Barking, who consequently receive £10 each on the 12th February, from Mr Glenny, one of the trustees. In 1833, Edard Smith Biggs left £200, to provide for a yearly distribution of coals and bread among the distressed poor. This legacy is vested in £201 19s 3d three per cent Consols, and the dividends are distributed by the vicar and church wardens. A yearly rent-charge of 13s 4d, left by Wm Pounsett, in 1564, for 40 poor people of Barking, is vested in trust with All Souls College, Oxford.

 


And Last updated on: Friday, 17-Apr-2015 19:58:41 BST