Search ME by surname, address or pub name
Also known as the North Castle Inn. At 125 North Station Road in 1899 & 1901 census. Ceased being a pub in 1956. Now a restaurant.
Colchester pub history index
Provided by Daniel & Margaret Tracey
Taken by Daniel & Margaret Tracey
Castle, North Station Road, Colchester - postmarked 1908
Kindly provided by Colleen
"The Name of this pub would probably have come from the view from its windows of Colchester's famous Norman castle, with its keep being the largest in Europe and on whose design the later built Tower of London was based. It was also known as the North Castle, to distinguish it from the other house of the same name in the High Street. The timber framed building is said to be of the 16th century. In a deed dated 1691, it seems that the inn was formerly known as the 'Soape House', probably because of the trade of its owners Abraham Fromenteel, a baymaker and Samuel Daniell, a linen draper. The premises passed to nephew Samuel Daniell and was then let on lease to Samuel Hedgethorne, victualler. He in turn, conveyed it to John Selley, a wealthy brewer, in 1734, who left it to his mother Elizabeth, who in 1765 bequeathed it to her son-in-law, the Reverend John Halls, the broad minded rector of Easthorpe for 50 years, and his wife.
For many years in the mid 18th century, the inn was a favoured resort of horticulturalists.
An advertisement in 1747 announced 'a shew [sic] of carnations and French whole blowers' atthe house of Samuel Winnock, at the sign of the Castle, over North Bridge, a kinsman of John Winnock, the founder of the alms houses in Military Road.
In April 1754, the Castle was included amongst the seven inns at which 'The Free Burgesses of Colchester in the Interest of John Olmius Esq. are desired to meet on Monday next, being the Day appointed for the Election, in order to proceed from there to the Hustings.' On the strength of the generous entertainment provided, Mr Olmius of New Hall, Boreham (created Lord Waltham in 1762) was returned to Parliament at the top of the poll.
There was a great consumption of hot purl and other strong drinks during the hard winter of 1788/9, when in January, a sheep was roasted whole on the ice near North Bridge.
An entry in the St Peter's parish registers in 1831 mentioned the suicide of a male stranger at the Castle Inn. In 1847, it was recorded that the ostler, John Brown, hung himself on his own bed post.
Much excitement prevailed in 1843, soon after the opening of the Eastern Counties Railway, when the horses of the Retaliator coach from Woodbridge, bolted by Mile End Rectory and came to grief upside down outside the inn. Several passengers were injured. Again, in 1843, William Wire recorded that, 'some years since there was a wilderness near the Castle Inn, North, which belonged to the original Lexden Park, where was a maze or labyrinth and from this the Fair held annually at Easter and Whitsuntide takes the name of Wilderness Fair.'"**
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
1851/William Minter/../../../Post Office
1851/William Minter/widow, innkeeper/58/Boxted, Essex/Census ***
1851/Maria Minter/daughter, housekeeper/25/Colchester, Essex/Census ***
1851/Emma Spurgeon/house servant/21/Great Clacton, Essex/Census ***
1861/James Ely/Publican/40/Mistley/Census ****
1861/Hannah Ely/Wife/41/Ardleigh, Essex/Census
1861/Hannah Hyde/Neice/20/Chelsea, Middx/Census
1867/William Whitmore Cole/../../../Post Office
1881/John Lindon/Publican/53/Ipswich, Suffolk/Census
1881/Alethea Lindon/Wife/51/Ipswich, Suffolk/Census
1881/Clara Lindon/Daughter/23/Ipswich, Suffolk/Census
1881/Catherine Lindon/Daughter/21/Ipswich, Suffolk/Census
1881/Joseph Durrell/Visitor, Retired Ships Captain/58/Ipswich, Suffolk/Census
1881/Elizabeth Edwards/Domestic Servant/20/West Mersea, Essex/Census
1881/George Moore/Ostler/26/Colchester, Essex/Census
1881/John Robinson/Lodger, Book Traveller/24/Romania/Census
1881/Benjamin Hodgson(?)/Lodger, Traveller (Kid Restorer)/50/Huddersfield, York/Census
1894/George Seager Cowles/../../../Kelly's
1895/George Seager Cowles/../../../Kelly's
1898/George Seager Cowles/../../../Kelly's
1899/George S. Cowles/../../../Kelly's
1901/Albert Colman/Licensed Victualler/44/Bristol, Gloucester/Census ****
1901/William Hy Colman/Son/9/Colchester, Essex/Census
1901/Harold Colman/Son/7/Colchester, Essex/Census
1901/Rowland Colman/Son/5/Colchester, Essex/Census
1901/Albert Colman/Son/2/Colchester, Essex/Census
1901/Katherine Colman/Wife/40/Tower Hamlets, London/Census
1901/Ellen Balls/Domestic Servant/46/Bradfield, Essex/Census
1901/Horace Scragg/Boarder/30/Great Clacton, Essex/Census
1901/Walter W Buckley/Boarder, Journalistic Artist/43/Lozells, Birmingham/Census
1901/Ellen A Buckley/Boarder/40/Lozells, Birmingham/Census
1901/Reginald Buckley/Boarder, Architects Clerk/15/Lozells, Birmingham/Census
1901/Dorothy V Buckley/Boarder/15/Yardley, Birmingham/Census
1901/Muriel A Buckley/Boarder/9/Mitcham, Surrey/Census
1901/Beresford Buckley/Boarder/7/Mitcham, Surrey/Census
1906/Mrs Katherine M Colman/../../../Kelly's
1907/W. H. Hollis/../../../Benham's
A Great Uncle of mine was the licensee of the Castle Inn in 1908. Edward William Hoskins was born in 1870 at Trottercliffe in Kent, his family later moved to Stoke Newington where they ran a greengrocers shop , he was listed in the 1891 census as a greengrocers assistant. He married Clara Soames in 1891 at Stoke-Newington (London). In 1901 he was a publican at the Fountain, 29 Southgate in Chichester; and prior to this at the Dawley Arms, Starbeall, Yiewsley, Uxbridge. There are records of at least four children; Arthur, Alice, Nellie and Thomas, the last being born at the Castle in 1908.
The whole family emigrated to Australia sailing from London on 19th. August 1911. *****
1908/Edward William Hoskins/../../../Kelly's
1914/Alfred Longmore/../../../Kelly's ****
1937/Arthur Catchpole/../../../Kelly's ****
* Provided by the Pubs, Inns and Taverns Index for England, 1801-1900
** Provided by Daniel & Margaret Tracey
*** Provided by John Mead
***** Provided by Brian Crick