The outline of the pub history site is to list ALL pubs of the last 200 years with detailed information on each, including their occupants and staff members; i.e. it is a genealogical search tool. It is never exhaustive, but it's pretty damned good so far. Please help me make it better if you have anything to add. Use the search engine to find pubs by name, publicans and bar staff by name, or just use it as a historical street directory - all detail on one site of about 50 thousand pages and over 10 thousand images. The site lists all counties in England, but some are sparse in content, whilst London and the South is very well documented. Use the links above to traverse the site; and if a search fails, type your search into google, find the relevant page on Ewans pubology site and it brings you back here again!
ROOTHING, AYTHROP, ROOTHING BERNERS, ROOTHING, (HIGH), ROOTHING, (LEADEN), ROOTHING, (MARRIAGE), ROOTHING (WHITE)
WHITE'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1848
ROOTHING, AYTHROP, or Roding Aythorpe, a small village in the vale of the river Roding, 5½ miles S.S.W. of Dunmow, has in its parish 285 souls, and 1361 acres of land. Chas. Livermore, Esq., is lord of the manor of "Aytrop Roding Hall," and the small manor of Keeres belongs to Gobert's Charity. N. Patmore, Esq., owns part of Friar's Grange, and other parts of the parish belong to J. Draper, J. B. Oliver, T. A. Aldham, F. J. Matthews, M. B. Peacock, Mrs. Cranmer, and a few smaller owners. The copyhold fines are arbitrary. This and the other eight places which have the common name of Roding, or Roothing, are so called from the river Roding, on which they are situated. The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a small antique fabric, with a wooden turret, containing four bells, and crowned by a small spire. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £280, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Hubbard, B.A., of Stondon Massey. The parsonage is a small brick building, and the glebe is 20 acres. The tithes were commuted in 1847 for £366. 9s. 8d. per annum.
ROOTHING BERNERS, or Roding Berners, is a small parish on the east side of the vale of the Roding, 6 miles N.N.E. of Ongar, and 7½ miles W.N.W. of Chelmsford, containing only 103 souls, and 1030 acres of land. T. B. Bramston, Esq., is lord of the manor, impropriator of the tithes, and patron of the perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £60, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Shepherd, B.D., of Margaret Roothing. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The Church is a small structure, with a wooden turret and one bell, and was appropriated to the monastery of St. Leonard, at Bow, Middlesex. Part of the parish belongs to S. B. Brocket, and a few smaller owners. Juliana Berners, daughter of Sir James Berners, was born here, and became prioress of Sopewell nunnery. She was very learned, and fond of hunting, hawking, and fishing, on which subjects and heraldry she wrote treatises, which were so popular, that they were amongst the first printed books in the English language. The FARMERS are, Anthony Archer Bentall, Elms; and Wm. Robinson, Hall.
ROOTHING, (HIGH) or High Roding, a straggling village, on the east side of the vale of the Roding, from 4 to 5 miles S.S.W. of Dunmow, has in its parish 446 inhabitants, and 1803 acres of land. The houses are mostly built of wood, lath, and plaster, and being whitewashed, have a clean and neat appearance. It was held by Ely Abbey, but the monks were deprived of it by the Conqueror, for giving shelter to their fugitive countrymen. It was given at the Conquest to Wm. de Warren, Earl of Surrey. It afterwards passed to the Blois, Plantaganet, Fitzalan, Boleyn, and Stafford families. It was sold in 1554 by Sir Wm. Stafford, to Thomas Jocelyn, an ancestor of the Earl of Roden, the present lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to several copyholders. New Hall, now a farm-house, was built by one of the Jocelyns, about two centuries ago. It was formerly a large house, with a court and chapel. The Church (All Saints,) is a small low building, with a wooden turret, containing three bells, and crowned by a spire. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £20., and in 1831 at £431, is in the patronage of the Earl of Roden, and incumbency of the Rev.Jph. Ridgeway, M.A., who has a good modern residence, and 24½ acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £487 per annum. In 1616, James Choppin left for the poor a yearly rent-charge of 13s. 4d., out of a small house, which was purchased in 1725, with £12 benefaction money, and is now occupied by paupers. He also left a yearly rent-charge of 6s. 8d., out of Rainbow field, now included in Attridge's farm. The School House, said to have been given by Sir Strange Jocelyn, was sold by the lord of the manor, in 1814, there being no trace of any grant of it on the rolls of the manor. Nothing is now known of it, or of the house which was given to the poor by Henry Drury, in 1614.
ROOTHING, (LEADEN) or Leaden Roding, is a small parish on the east side of the river Roding, 6½ miles S.S.W. of Dunmow, and 10 miles N.W. by W. of Chelmsford. It has only 171 souls, and 873 acres of land, generally fertile, and having a level surface. Lord Dacre is lord of the manor, Capt. Foy and Mr. Thomas Milbank have estates here. The latter owns Speller's farm. The Church is a small ancient building, with a wooden steeple, containing three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12. 13s. 2d., and in 1831 at £242, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. G. F. Rawlins, M.A., who has a good residence, and 47A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1847, for £245 per annum. This parish is entitled to send children to D'Oyley's School, at Margaret-Roothing. For teaching poor children, the schoolmistress here has a yearly rent-charge of £5, out of the Hall farm, formerly belonging to the Brand family, and now to Lord Dacre.
ROOTHING, (MARRIAGE) or Margaret Roding, a pleasant village, on the east side of the vale of the Roding, 8 miles W.N.W. of Chelmsford, has in its parish 272 souls, and 1222 acres of fertile land, belonging to the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford, (owners of Marks Hall manor,) Miss Molesworth, the heirs of the late C. R. Smith, Esq., and a few smaller owners. Marks Hall was given to University College, by Walter Skirlaw, Bishop of Durham, in 1403. The Church (St. Margaret,) is a small structure, with a tiled nave and chancel of one pace, and a wooden turret, containing four bells, and crowned with a small spire. The west door has a fine Saxon arch, supported by wreathed pillars. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10. 12s. 6d. and in 1831 at £223, is in the gift of James Bentley, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Shepherd, B.D., who has a neat residence, and about 45A. of glebe, partly let in garden allotments. The tithes were commuted in 1843, for the annual sums of £234, to the rector of this parish, and £80. 10s. 6d. to the rector of Stondon Massey. In 1731, the Rev. Robt. D'Oyley, D.D., bequeathed Braintree's Farm, at Hatfield Broad Oak, to the Corporation of the Sons of Clergy, subject to the yearly payment of £14 a year, for schooling poor children of this parish and its vicinity, and also to the yearly payments of 30s. each to this parish and Fryerning, for distribution in bread among the poor.
ROOTHING, (WHITE) or White Roding, is a large straggling village, pleasantly situated on the western side of the vale of the Roding, about 7 miles N. of Ongar, and S.S.W. of Dunmow. Its parish contains 488 inhabitants, and 1853A. 1R. 33P. of land, exclusive of the hamlet of MORRELL ROOTHING, which forms a separate township, and is a detached member of Ongar Hundred. White Roothing includes about 300A. of woods, roads, and wastes. T. N. Abdy, Esq., is lord of the manors of White Roding-bury, and Maskels-bury; and that of Colville Hall was bequeathed in 1701, by Mrs. Prisca Coburne, for the relief of poor widows and unfortunate seamen of Stepney. Merks Hall estate belongs to E. Frere, Esq., and several smaller owners have land here, partly copyhold, subject to arbitrary fines. The Church (St. Martin,) is a handsome structure, with a large square embattled tower, containing five bells, and surmounted by a tall spire, which is seen from a great distance. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £26, and in 1831 at £529, is in the patronage of John Maryon Wilson, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Budd M.A., who has a good old residence, and 64A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £600 per annum. The Church Land is about 4½ acres, let for £6. 8s. Here is an Association for the prosecution of thieves, and Mr. W. Bacon is its secretary.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
ROOTHING-ABBOTS, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 6 miles N by E of Ongar r. station. It contains the hamlet of Roothing-Barwick, and its post-town is Ongar. Acres, 1,602. Real property, £2,366. Pop., 220. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged anciently to barking abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £323. Patron, Capel Cure, Esq. The church is good, and has a spire. There are an Independent chapel, and a parochial school.
ROOTHING-AYTHORP, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding, 5 miles SW by S of Great Dunmow, and 6 E of Sawbridgeworth r. station. Post-town, Dunmow, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,394. Real property, £2,038. Pop., 269. Houses 56. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £380. Patron, the Rev. H. Ludgater. The church is good, and has a spire.
ROOTHING-BARWICK, a hamlet in Roothing-Abbots parish, Essex; 5½ miles N by E of Ongar. Real property, £964.
ROOTHING-BEAUCHAMP, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 4½ miles NNE of Ongar r. station. It includes part of the hamlet of Birds-Green; and its post-town is Ongar, under Brentwood. Acres, 1,311. Real property, with the rest of Birds-Green, £1,761. Pop, 226. Houses, 50. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £244. Patron, the Rev. W. Bond. The church is good.
ROOTHING-BERNERS, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 6 miles NE by N of Ongar r. station. Post-town, Ongar, under Brentwood. Acres, 1,050. Real property, £1,492. Pop., 94. Houses, 18. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £63. Patron, S.W. Bramston, Esq. The church is tolerable.
ROOTHING (HIGH), a parish, with a village, in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding, 3¾ miles SSW of Dunmow, and 8 ENE of Sawbridgeworth r. station. Post-town, Dunmow, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,803. Real property, £2,823. Pop., 469. Houses, 110. The property is subdivided. The manor was given, at the time of the Confessor, to a monastery in the Isle of Ely. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester.. Value, £391. Patron, the Earl of Roden. The church was recently restored. There is a parochial school.
ROOTHING-LEADEN, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding; 7 miles NNE of Ongar r. station. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 907. Real property, £1,330. Pop., 207. Houses, 46. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £230. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was restored in 1868. Charities, £5.
ROOTHING-MARGARET, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding, 7 miles NNE of Ongar r. station. It contains the hamlet of Marks; and its post-town is Roothing-Leaden, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,222. Real property, £1,353. Pop., 236. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. Paddocks Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £223. Patron, J. Bentley, Esq. The church is good, and has a Norman door. There is an endowed school, with £16 a-year.
ROOTHING-MORRELL, a hamlet in White Roothing parish, Essex; 6 miles SW of Great Dunmow. It was once a separate parish. Real property, £501. Pop., 32.
ROOTHING (WHITE), a village and a parish in Dunmow district, Essex. The village stands 1½ mile W of the river Roding, and 5 E by S of Sawbridgeworth r. station; and has a post-office under Chelmsford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Roothing-Morrell, and comprises 2,520 acres. Real property, £3,233. Pop., 466. Houses, 101. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £490. Patron, J.M. Wilson, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower and spire. Charities, £6.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
Email Essex Pubs at: EssexPubmail