Have you ever run a Pub? You can add your pub history to the UK pub history site. You can contact the pub history site via my email : Kevan. There are over 10,500 images on the site and 45,000 pages of pub history which increases every day.
This is a local search engine of the UK Pub history site. You can search by surname, street address, or public house name. There are nearly 50,000 pages of pub history detail in this search engine; which is mainly historical. New pubs and additional detail is added every day, and the search engine updates weekly. If you are looking for a specific pub history listing, some of these can only be found in the sitemap - see the navigation bar on the left.
|site search by freefind|
The 1841 census can be viewedin its entirety at http://essex1841.com
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
DODDINGHURST, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; 4¼ miles N by W of Brentwood r. station, and 4½ SE by S of Ongar. Post-town, Kelvedon Common, under Brentwood. Acres, 1,892. Real property, £3,192. Pop., 394. Houses, 81. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £624. Patron, W. Manbey, Esq.. The church is good; and there are charities £15.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
1855 Kellys Directory
Doddinghurst or Doddinhurst, was known in the time of Edward the Confessor; it is in the Ongar Union and Brentwood County Court, South Essex District, and contains an area of 1,892 acres, and a population in 1851 of 393. It is 3 miles south of Ongar, 4 west of Ingatestone and 4 north of Brentwood Station. The church is dedicated to All Saints, and is small with a nave and chancel, with 3 bells. The living is a rectory, commuted at £624. The rectory house is a neat building, attached to which are nearly 18 acres of glebe land. There are charities amounting to about £17, which are distributed on Sundays in loaves of bread. There are daily and Sunday schools for 50 boys and girls, supported by the rector. This is a very healthy locality. The windows have been repaired and new sittings have been recently erected by the rector and parishioners.
A hamlet of Doddinghurst is called Doddinhurst LIST. Colonel Fane and Mrs Manbey are the principal land proprietors of the parish. The Rev Wm Manbey MA is the rector.
Hookend Mill is half a mile north, Whitelings , 1 mile north east. Wyatts Green is ha;f a mile east; Peartree Green, half a mile south. Plemkhouse Green is 1 mile south; Salmons Green, 1 ½ miles south; Canterbury, 2 ½ miles south.
Manbey Rev William, MA [Rector], Rectory
Baker Bramston, farmer
Bloomfield John, farmer
Charge Henry, ‘Swan’ & Wheelwright
Cumbers George, farmer
Day Thomas, farmer
Ellenger John, blacksmith
Ewbank Michael, school master
Ffitch James, shoe maker & beer retailer
Gandy Isaac, farmer
Hooper John, shopkeeper
Lagden Richard, farmer
Littlechild John, farmer
Littlechild Sarah (Mrs), farmer
Mills Alfred, farmer
Skiggs Robert, farmer & shopkeeper
Stokes James, farmer
Wright John, farmer
Letters through Ingatestone & Brentwood. The nearest money order office is at Brentwood.
1878 Kellys Directory
Doddinghurst or Doddinhurst, is a parish, in the southern division of the County, Ongar Union, Barstable Hundred, Brentwood County Court District, Ingatestone rural deanery, Essex archdeaconry and St Albans diocese,, 4 miles south of Ongar, 4 west from Ingatestone and 4 north from Brentwood Station. The church of All Saints is small, having a chancel, nave and square wooden tower and shingled spire with 3 bells.; the whole of the church was restored in 1853 at the expense of the rector and parishioners. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £624 with residence and 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev F Stewart and held by the Rev William Manbey, M A of Queens College, Oxford. There are day and Sunday schools for the children of the parish, supported by the rector; and a school was erected in 1857 chiefly at his expense; the average attendance is about 40. Charities amounting to about £15 are distributed on Sundays in loaves of bread and coals at Christmas. Captain Brown is lord of the manor; Colonel Fane is the principal landed proprietor. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1.892 acres; rateable value is £3, 365; and had a scattered population in 1871 of 426.
Doddinhurst List is a hamlet.
Parish Clerk, John Mason.
Charity school, Mrs Elizabeth Lodge, mistress
[Letters marked thus * through Ingatestone, & the rest through Brentwood, which are the nearest money order offices.]
Manbey Rev William, MA [rector], rectory *
Archer David Jas, farmer, Pear Tree farm
Baker Bramston, farmer, Doddinghurst Hall *
Brown Philip, Swan, Kelvedon Common
Day Henry & David, farmers
Eve George, farmer, Park Wood
Gandey Mary Anne (Miss), farmer, Kelvedon Common
Godfrey Geo, blacksmith, Kelvedon Common *
Harvey Abraham, farmer
Lagden Elizabeth (Mrs), farmer
Lagden Henry, farmer, Cowes farm
Littlechild David & William, farmers *
Littlechild Richard, farmer, Wishfields *
Maryon John, beer retailer, Kelvedon Common
Mason John, farmer & parish clerk *
Mills Alfred, farmer, Swallows Cross *
Mitchell James, farmer, Howes farm
Rolph John, farmer, Place farm
Smith Wm, shopkeeper, Kelvedon Common
Theobald Kezia, butcher, & at Brentwood *
Whitnall Samuel Fairey, shopkeeper, Kelvedon Common
Kelly's Directory ~ 1902
Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages
DODDINGHURST, otherwise written 'Doddenheue', 'Dudeho' and 'Duddinghurst' is a parish, 4 miles south from Ongar, 4 west from Ingatestone and 4 north from Brentwood stations, in the Mid division of the county, Barstable hundred, Brentwood petty sessional division and county court district, Ongar union, and in the rural deanery of Ingatestone, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St. Albans.
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone and rubble, in the Early vestry, organ chamber, and a wooden tower at the west end, with a shingled spire containing 3 bells; the south porch, built of massive open timber, is considered the finest specimen of its kind in the county; all the windows are stained; the church was restored in 1886, the restoration of the chancel being effected at the expense of the rector, and in 1897 a brass tablet was placed in the church in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of her late Majesty Queen Victoria; there are 120 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560.
The living is a rectory, net yearly value £340, with residence and 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Fras. Stewart M. A. and held since 1896 by the Rev. Frederick Archer Adams M. A. of Queen's College, Oxford.
The ancient stocks still remain at Stocks corner, near the common. Lagden's charity, derived from land in the parish, amounts to about £15 yearly, of which sum £8 is distributed in coals here and £7 in the adjoining parish of Kelvedon Common. There are two other small charities, one of £4 annually, issuing from the Hall farm, and the other of £3 paid by the Fane trustees, both of which are distributed in bread.
The Rev. Francis Stewart M. A. is lord of the manor, and Major J. A. Fane, of 13 Woodlands road, Barnes, London S W, is the principal landed proprietor. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and barley. The area is 1,913 acres of land and 4 of water; rateable value, £2,003; population in 1901, 372.
Sexton, Henry Green
School (mixed), for 60 children; average attendance, about 50; John Windo, master; Mrs Fanny M. Windo, mistress
Letters through Brentwood, arrive at 7am & 12.15pm.
Wall Letter Box at the School cleared at 8.45am & 6pm on week days & 9am on Sunday. Wall Letter Box, The Common, cleared at 9.20am, 1.10 & 6.30pm; Sunday 9am. Kelvedon Common is the nearest money order & telegraph office, distant 1? miles
Adams Rev. Fredk. Archer M. A. Rectory
Pratt Roland, Place farm
Abrey Geo. Swan P.H. The Common
Barker Thomas Humphrey, farmer, Dagwood
Bloomfield Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Bolton Jn. Pritchett, frmr, Park frm
Clark Matthias, farmer, Glovers farm
Curtis Hebert, baker & shopkeeper, The Common
Day Thomas, farmer
Dove Ezekiel, farmer, The Hall
Gadd & Tubb, grocers & drapers, The Common
Giblin William, farmer, Cowes farm
Godfrey George, blacksmith, The Common
Hughes Wilfred, farmer, Bannisters
Jordan Walter, beer retailer
Lagden George, farmer
Littlechild William, farmer, Pettits fm
Luckin Charles, oil dealer, Manor ho
Mason John, farmer, Emblens
Metson Samuel, frmr. Pear Tree farm
Mitchell Edward, frmr. Howes farm
Poole Wm. Jas. Farmer, Swallows cross
Purnell Frederick, farmer, Chivers frm
Wheatley & Co. poultry frmrs. Red ho
Window John, schoolmaster
Email Essex Pubs at: EssexPubmail