Have you ever run a Pub? You can add your pub history to the UK pub history site. You can contact the pub history site via my email : Kevan. There are over 10,500 images on the site and more than 47,000 pages of pub history - these numbers increase every day as I add new pub history research. The pub history site has now been evolving for more than ten years, with a significant number of additional pub history researchers who regularly update the site with historical detail and imagery, old and new.
This is a local search engine of the UK Pub history site. You can search by surname, street address, or public house name. The search engine updates weekly. If you are looking for a specific pub history listing, some of these can only be found in the sitemap - see the navigation bar on the left.
|site search by freefind|
White's History, Gazetteer & Directory of Essex ~ 1848
Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages
BUMPSTEAD, (HELION) is a large and pleasant village, at the north-western extremity of this Hundred, 3 miles S. W. of Haverhill, and 8 miles E. N. E. of Saffron Waldon. Its parish contains 906 inhabitants, and 3132 acres of land, bounded on the north by Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, and giving rise to a rivulet which flows eastward, through Steeple Bumpstead, to the Stour. It contains a large portion of rich meadow and pasture lands, and has many scattered farm-houses.
It is in several manors, of which the following are the names and lords:- Dengie Helions, the Governors of St. Thomas's Hospital; Bumpstead Hall and Steeple Bumpstead, J. Shaw, Esq.; and Olmsted Hall and Horsham Hall, belonging to Queen's College, Cambridge. The Hamlet of Olmsted Green, includes about 500 acres in Cambridgeshire, and anciently belonged to the Olmsted family, and was formerly considered a hamlet of Castlecamps. The manor of Dengie Helions was held at the survey by Tihel, or Ti Hellus Brito, one the Britons or Armoricans who served in the rear of the Conqueror's army. He was the founder of the Helion family, who were long seated here.
An estate called Bublowes, belongs to the trustees of the late Richard Salway Esq., and was given by Simon de Bublowe, at an early period, to the hospital of St. John, of Jerusalem.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is a plain stone fabric, consisting of a nave and south aisle, leaded; a small tiled chancel, and a brick tower. The guild here, dedicated to St. Peter.
The vicarage, valued in K. B. at £13, and in 1831 at £176, is in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. John Hodgson, M.A., who has a good residence, and 3 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1842, the vicarial for
£274. 16s., and the rectorial for £711. 9s. 9d. The latter belong to the Trustees of the late Richard Salway, Esq., and Wm. Gibson, Esq., of Ongar. The Church Land comprises 2r. 35p. Three cottages and a blacksmith's shop have belonged to the poor parishioners from times immemorial.
Andrews Samuel, butcher
Bacon Edith, vict. Marquis of Granby
Betts John, parish clerk
Casbolt James, bricklayer
Cole Mrs Letitia, Hill Cottage
Dare Wm. corn factor, Parsonage
Emson Edmund, corn miller
Green Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Hodgson Rev. John, M. A. vicar
Humphreys Sarah, schoolmistress
Johnson Benjamin, cooper
Lee Adam, basket maker
Marten Wm. grocer, &c
Mizen Charles, beerhouse
Mizen Stephen, blacksmith
Nunn Harriet, schoolmistress
Ruse Thomas, carpenter
Steed Wm. Michael, schoolmaster
Tilbrook Wm. farrier
Willis Sarah, shopkeeper
Wright Abrm. vict. and carpenter, Carpenters Arms
Cole Samuel, Upper House
Emson Daniel Kent, Hall
Ruffle George, Horsham Hall
Stubbing John, Helions
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BUMPSTEAD-HELION, a parish in the district of Risbridge and county of Essex; on the N verge of the county, and on the Halstead and Haverhill railway, near Birdbrook station, 8 miles NNE of Thaxted. It has a post-office under Newmarket. Acres, 3,191. Real property, £4,210. Pop., 887. Houses, 191. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the East Essex hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £174. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is good.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
Post Office Directory of Essex ~ 1871
Submitted and Transcribed by Essex Villages
HELION BUMPSTEAD is a village and parish, in the Western division of the county, Risbridge union, Freshwell hundred, county court district of Haverhill, Sampford rural deanery, Colchester archdeaconry, and Rochester diocese, and was known in the time of King Edward the Confessor: it is 3 miles south-west from Haverhill, and 10 north-east from Saffron Waldon, on the borders of Cambridgeshire.
The church of St. Andrew is old; it has a tower containing 5 bells, a nave, south aisle, chancel, and organ and is pleasantly situated. The register dates from the year 1558.
The living is a vicarage, yearly value £274, with a residence, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. William Le Mottee, m. a.
There is a National School for boys and girls.
George Shaw, esq., is lord of the manor. The principal landed proprietors are Queens College, Cambridge, the trustees of St. Thomas's Hospital, London, and the Rev. J. W. Carver, of Finchingfield.
The soil is clay; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans.
The parish contains 3,191 acres, and the population in 1861 was 911; gross estimated rental, £4,914; rateable value, £4,158.
OLMSTEAD GREEN, one-mile southwest, in Cambridgeshire, is a hamlet of Helion Bumpstead.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Ruse
POST OFFICE - William Hughes Marten, postmaster
Letters from Newmarket arrive at 9.20am; dispatched at 4pm
The nearest money order office is at Haverhill
National School, Miss Harriet Doe, mistress
Le Mottee Rev. William, m. a. [vicar]
Ambrose Thomas, farmer, Olmstead hall
Bacon John, gardener
Barker Henry, miller
Baynes Thomas, farmer, Moss
Baynes Thurgood, farmer, Olmstead green
Betts John, wheelwright
Casbolt John, beer retailer
Challis Samuel, shopkeeper
Chapman Daniel, farmer, Perry Appleton
Cole Samuel, farmer, Upperhouse
Emson Edmund, higgler
Lee William, basket maker
Lofts James, farmer, Burton villa
Marten Wm. Hughes, grocer & draper
Maylon Lawrence, beer retailer
Middleditch John, farmer and beer retailer
Mizon John, farmer, Olmstead
Mizon Sarah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Mizon Stephen, Three Horseshoes, & blacksmith
Moore William, shoemaker
Olley Frederick, farmer, Helion farm
Pannell Thos. farmer, Bumpstead hall
Parkin Samuel, farmer, Lanceleys
Purkis Jonathan, coal dealer
Ruffle George, farmer, Horsham hall
Ruffle William, farmer, Coppy farm
Ruse John, wheelwright
Ruse Joseph, farmer, Greenhouse
Ruse Thomas, carpenter
Saich Goddard, Marquis of Granby
Steed William Michael, day school
Tilbrook Stephen, shopkeeper
Tilbrook William, veterinary surgeon
Unwin George Jarvis, farmer, Whites
Willis Charles, shopkeeper
Wright George, carpenter & farmer
Wright James, carpenter
Email Essex Pubs at: EssexPubmail