Have you ever run a Pub? You can add your pub history to the UK pub history site. You can contact the pub history site via my email : Kevan. There are over 10,500 images on the site and more than 47,000 pages of pub history - these numbers increase every day as I add new pub history research. The pub history site has now been evolving for more than ten years, with a significant number of additional pub history researchers who regularly update the site with historical detail and imagery, old and new.
This is a local search engine of the UK Pub history site. You can search by surname, street address, or public house name. The search engine updates weekly. If you are looking for a specific pub history listing, some of these can only be found in the sitemap - see the navigation bar on the left.
|site search by freefind|
LOW LEYTON, LEYTONSTONE & Neighbourhoods
Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory
LOW LEYTON is a village, and with Leytonstone constitutes the parish of St. Mary's Leyton, in the hundred of Becontree. The first-named village is about five miles and a half from Shoreditch church, London, eight from Romford and two from Stratford; situated on high ground near the river Lea, and on the right of the Epping road; agreeably wooded, and watered by the Lea river, - having a soil highly productive. Like many other rural places, so near the metropolis, it is the residence of a number of opulent families. There are two manors in the parish of Leyton, viz. Leyton Grange, and Ruckholts; the former possessed by John Pardoe, Esq.; the latter by the Hon. W.T.L.P. Wellesley.
The Parish church is a brick edifice, and contains the monuments of many eminent persons; amongst which are those of Charles Goring, Earl of Norwich, Sir John Strange, Sir Wm. Hicks, and John Strype; the latter person renowned for his antiquarian researches, and who, though never inducted, held this vicarage during the space of 68 years, by a special licence from the Bishop of London. The present vicar is the Rev. Charles Henry Laprimaudaye, and the Rev. Charles John Laprimandaye is the curate. The other places of worship are, a chapel of ease (at Leytonstone), and two chapels for dissenters. In the parish are eight almshouses, an endowed free-school and others on the national plan. The population of the entire parish, by the census for 1831, was 3,323; being an increase of 804 inhabitants since the year 1801.
LEYTONSTONE is a short distance from Low Leyton, and in the account of the latter place we have mentioned all that is necessary to be said of this village. The pursuits of its inhabitants, which are agricultural, and its situation and aspect, partake of the same character; and its population is included in the returns of the former.
POST, LOW LEYTON, Letter Box at Daniel Munn's, grocer. - Letters to LONDON are despatched every morning at nine, and every afternoon at four. And LEYTONSTONE, at Elizabeth Johnson's - Letters to LONDON are despatched every forenoon at a quarter to ten, and every afternoon at a quarter to five.
COACHES. To LONDON, R. Wragg's coaches, from the Three Blackbirds, Low Leyton, every morning at nine and eleven, afternoon at three and five, and evening at seven - coaches (from Wanstead), call at the Green Man, Leytonstone, every morning (Sunday excepted) at a quarter before nine; coaches (from Woodford and Epping), call at the same house, every morning (Sunday excepted) at half-past nine; coaches (from Harlow), every morning (Sunday excepted) at a quarter-past eleven; and coaches (from Clare), every morning (Sunday excepted), at a quarter before twelve.
To CLARE, coaches (from London), call at the Green Man, Leytonstone, every afternoon (Sunday excepted) at half-past three.
To EPPING & WOODFORD, coaches (from London), call at the Green Man, every afternoon at half-past five.
To WANSTEAD, coaches (from London), call at the Green Man, every morning at twelve, and aftern. at three & four.
CARRIERS. To LONDON, William Cole, from Low Leyton, every morning (Thursday and Sunday excepted) - and Thomas Wells, from Leytonstone, every day (Sunday excepted) at twelve.
Transcribed by CG
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
KNOTTS-GREEN, a quondam hamlet in Low Leyton parish, Essex; now continuous with Leyton stone, 5½ miles NE of London. It has a post-office under Leytonstone, London NE.
LEYTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in West Ham district, Essex. The village stands on the river Lea, the Great Eastern railway, the boundary with Middlesex, and the London and Ongar railway, 5¼ miles NE by E of Bishopsgate, London; took its name, signifying Leatown, from its position on the Lea; occupies or is near the site of a Roman station, near the Roman or Stone way to Colchester; and where many coins and other relics of the Romans and some of the Saxons have been found; belonged to King Harold; comprises now one long street; contains respectable and handsome houses, embosomed in trees; is continuous with Knotts-Green and Lea-Bridge, which formerly were separate hamlets; and has a station on The Ongar railway, and a post-office under London NE. The parish also contains the post-offices of Leyton-Street, Low Leyton, and Lea-Bridge, under Leyton, London NE; includes the village and chapelry of Leytonstone; is sometimes called Low Leyton; and lies within the jurisdiction of the metropolitan police. Acres, 2,241. Real property, £23,289. Pop., in 1851, 3,901; in 1861, 4,794. Houses, 762. Leyton House, Leyton Park, Etloe House, Solway House, Leytonstone House, Forest House, Wallwood House, and Buxton House, are prominent residences; and there are many other fine ones. Remains of ancient embankments, with a square double embankment surrounded by a moat, are at Ruckholts. Temple mills, on the Lea, were mills said to have belonged to the Knights Templars; but they were demolished to give way to water-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £450. Patron, John Pardoe, Esq. The parish church, or church of St. Mary, is a small plain brick building; and contains monuments of Stripe the antiquary, who was vicar here for nearly 70 years, - Bowyer, the famous printer, - Goring, Earl of Norwich, - Sir Michael Hickes, and others. Another church, called the church of All Saints, was built in 1865, at a cost of £2,147; is in the decorated English style, cruciform, with a five-light E window; and contains 560 sittings. There are a Wesleyan chapel in Leyton, an Independent chapel in Leytonstone, national schools in both places, eight alms-houses, and a workhouse. The total yearly value of charities is £178. the workhouse is for West Ham district; and at the census of 1861, had 571 inmates. Sir T. Roe, ambassador to the Great Mogul in the time of Charles I., was a native.
LEYTONSTONE, a village and a chapelry in Leyton parish, Essex. The village runs parallel to Leyton village, and northward of it; lies on the Roman Road to Colchester, adjacent to the London and Ongar railway; took the latter part of its name from a Roman milliarium, which stood at it; has recently undergone great increase; contains many fine urban villas; and has a station on the railway, about a mile N of that of Leyton, and a post-office under London NE. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., in 1861, 2,396. Houses, 325. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £150. Patron, J Pardoe, Esq. The church occupies a commanding site on the road from Stratford to Epping; and is a handsome edifice, with light square W tower, surmounted by four fine spirelets. There are an Independent chapel, and a national school for boys and girls.
Transcribed by Noel Clark
Email Essex Pubs at: EssexPubmail