UK pub history and historical Street directory

The pub history sites are regularly updated by Stephen Harris and kevan, plus an 'open' group of like-minded individuals on a daily basis; and anyone is welcome to contribute. We are not a society, but a random group of people with similar interests in mapping the usage of old buildings, public houses, taverns, hotels and Inns through time. Why not join us, there is no cost in getting involved, and any contribution to pub history is welcome. To contact the pubs history site, please email deadpubs

<

Great Warley 1874 Post Office Directory

History of Great Warley

Great Warley (or West Warley, or Warley Abbess) is a parish, in the Southern  division of the county, Chafford hundred, Romford union, Brentwood county court district, rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of Rochester, 6 miles east from Romford, 18 from London and 3 ½  south from Brentwood station.. The church of St Mary th Virgin was restored in 1860, it is a brick building, consisting of chancel and nave the axis of which are noticeably divergent. The register, which dates from the year 1539, is  in excellent preservation, and is continued without break to the present time: there is also a curious list of “Briefs”, dating from 1709 to 1768. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £520, with residence, in the gift of St Johns College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev Hammond Roberson Bailey MA, late fellow of that college. Christ Church, with a vicarage house and school, were erected for a district formed in 1855 out of those portions of Great Warley, Shenfield and South Weald parishes, lying in its immediate neighbourhood, but upwards of 2 miles from their respective parish churches:.it is a brick building with stone facings, in the Early English style, and has a square castellated tower. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £200,  with residence, in the gift of  trustees, and held since 1855 by the Rev Thomas Henry Bunbury BA of Trinity College, Dublin. A National school and schoolhouse was built by the late rector. The County Lunatic Asylum, capable of holding 8000 patients, in the adjoining parish of South Weald, is about half a mile from Christ Church. Lord Headley, who is lord of the manor, and Samuel Francis esq,  are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil loam, with patches of gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and peas. The acreage is – arable, 1,339; pasture, 1,017; common (now inclosed), 159; and wood, 209; gross estimated rental, £6,930; rateable value, £5,821; the population of the parish in 1871 was 1,409, viz Great Warley, 412; Christ Church, 835; and soldiers, 162..

Warley Street is a portion of Great Warley

Parish Clerks: St Mary the Virginr, Thomas Clark; Christ Church, William Cudby.

Post, Money Order Office & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank, Warley Common – James Hayes, sub-postmaster. Letters from Brentwood arrive at 6.30 am & 12.30 pm; dispatched at 2.30 & 7.15 pm

Post Office, Warley Street – John Crossingham, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Brentwood at 7.15 am & 2 pm; dispatched at 2 & 6.25 pm. The nearest money order officeis at  Warley common.

 

Schools

Christ Church National, George Morris, master; Miss Emily Eve, mistress

School (boys & girls), Lower Warley, Miss Mary Jane Tench, mistress

 

Private Residents

Bailey Rev Hammond Roberson MA, Rectory

Baker Alfred, Warley Road

Bunbury Rev Thomas Henry BA

Daldy Edward Mee, The Lea

Davies Henry, North End house

Duberley Major Henry

Ebsworth Henry Julian, Highbury villa

English Rev J F H, LLD, JP [vicar of Brentwood], Warley House

Gibson William, South ville

Graves William Thomas, Goldings

Hook William

Ind Edward, Coombe Lodge

Legge Hon Colonel, Brookland house

Macmullen Mrs, laurel mount

Martin James, The Crosses

Moody John, Hulmers

Ogg William Anderson, Hampton house

Pidgeon John

Polley James

Robinson Anthony Geo, Warley place

Sowter Rev Joseph AKC [chaplain to County Lunatic Asylum]

Squirrell James

Way __, Prospect house

Wood Richard, Warley Road

 

Commercial

Allen George, Horse & Groom

Baker Jesse, shopkeeper

Bunion Albert James, beer retailer

Barnard Thomas, Horse Artillery, & butcher

Burrows Wm, shoe maker, Warley Street

Clark Isaac, farmer, Harts house

Cole Harry, grocer

Coppen Charles, farmer

Crossingham John, grocer & corn dealer, Warley Street

Cudby Sarah (Mrs), linen draper

Day Robert, Headley Arms

Dennis George, farmer

French Edward & Samuel, fishmongers, Warley Road

Hammond John, builder & contractor

Hawes Daniel, farmer

Hayes James, chemist & post office

Haynes Joseph, farm bailiff to J C Goode esq, Hall Farm

Hitchcock Jane (Mrs), blacksmith & wheelwright, Warley Street

Ives William Dunning, beer retailer

Kempster William, Soldiers Hotel, Warley Road

Knightbridge Thomas, farmer

Lewis Charles, Princess Alexandra, Warley Common

Norfolk James Robert, builder & carpenter

Parker James, farmer, Normans

Perkins Charles, boot & shoe maker

Pinchon John, farmer, Monks

Pizzi Joseph, farmer

Scott Frederick, baker, Warley Road

Scrivener John, builder

Seabrook William, baker

South Essex Water Works (Thomas Bealey, manager)

Springham Nathaniel, farmer

Strickland Thomas, beer retailer

Weal Thomas, farmer, Dickinsons

Whitby William, Thatchers Arms

Willmot Chas, Prince Albert, Warley Road

 (For other names in Warley Road, see Brentwood)

 


All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission. Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work. And Last updated on: Sunday, 07-Dec-2014 00:51:04 GMT