I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Great Warley 1886 Kellys Directory

History of Great Warley

 

Great Warley (or West Warley, or Warley Abbess) is a parish and village, 3 ½ miles south from Brentwood station on the main line of the great eastern railway, 6 east from Romford and 18 from London, in the Mid division of the county, Chafford hundred, Brentwood petty sessional division and county court district, Romford union, rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway Company’s direct line from barking to Pitsea passes through the parish. The church of St Mary, restored in 1860, is an edifice of brick originally in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel and nave and a western tower with a low spire containing 1 bell: the east and south windows in the chanel are stained, and on the north side of the chancel is  mural monument with a demi-effigy to Gyles Fleming, gent, ob 18 Oct 1623, and to Gyles Fleming, his son, ob 1633, the register dates from 1539 and is in excellent preservation. There is also a curious list of “Briefs”, dating from 1709 to 1768. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £396, net yearly value £288, with 9 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of St Johns College, Cambridge, and held since 1866 by the Rev Hammond Roberson Bailey MA, late fellow and tutor of that college. Christ Church ecclesiastical parish was formed 27 July, 1855, out of portions of Great Warley, Shenfield and South Weald parishes, in its immediate neighbourhood. The church is an edifice of brick with stone facings, in the early English style, consisting of nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 1 bell: in 1877 the church was enlarged, and in 1891 a new chancel was added, at a cost of £1,200. the register dates from the year 1855. the living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £7, gross yearly value £330, net £289, with glebe (£26) and residence, in the gift of the trustees, and held since 1892 by the Rev Herbert Alfred Raynes MA of Christ Church, Oxford; Christ Church district population, 1891, 4,927. A cemetery of 2 acres was formed in 1860 for Christ Church parish; it has a small mortuary chapel and is under the control of a Burial Board of seven members. The Catholic church, dedicated to the Holy Cross and All Saints, was erected in 1881 at a cost of about £2,500, and is an edifice of Kentish rag in Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and a small western turret containing 1 bell: this church is used by the Catholic soldiers of the Garrison. A Convent of Mercy has recently been established. The “Crosses”, Great Warley, is now utilized as a holiday home for working girls of the city of London and is supported by Evelyn Heseltine esq, of the Goldings. Here is a pumping station, belonging to the South Essex Water works, the water being conveyed hither from Grays, 9 miles distant, for the supply of the town of Brentwood, Hampden House is the residence of James William Cook esq, JP. Warley lace of Mrs Willmot, and Goldings of Evelyn Heseltine esq. Lord Headley, who is lord of the manor, and Richard Benyon esq, of Englefield Park, Reading, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey; subsoil loam, with patches of gravel. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and peas. The acreage is – arable, 1,339; pasture, 1,017; common (now inclosed), 159; and wood, 209; rateable value, £7,291; the population in 1891 was 1,609, of which 420 are attached to the parish church; included in Christ Church population were 184 in Warley Barracks married quarters and 1,469 in Essex County Asylum.

Parish Clerks: St Peter, George P Kemp; Christ Church, William Cudby.

Post, M O O & T O, S B, Express delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Warley Common – James Hayes, sub-postmaster. Letters from Brentwood arrive at 6.50 & 11.20 am & 4 & 6.45 pml; dispatched at 10.10 am & 2.30 & 7.20 pm

Post, M  & T O, S B, Express delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, Great Warley – John Crossingham, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by foot post from Brentwood at 7.30 am & 12.15 pm; dispatched at 9.40 am, 2 & 7 pm & 11 am  on Sundays.

Wall Letter Box, Lower Warley school, cleared at 1.30 & 6.15 pm; Sundays 11.30 am

Police Station, Warley Road, George Constable, constable

Police Station, Warley Street, Samuel Pickett, constable

 

Schools

Christ Church National (Mixed), enlarged in 1892, at a cost of £420, raised by public subscription, for 307 children, average attendance, 123 boys & 110 girls & 44 infants; George Morris, master; Miss Sarah Elzabeth Stacey, mistress

Lower Warley (mixed), built in 1843, for 40 children, enlarged in 1870 for 80; average attendance, 51; Miss mary Ellen Vivian, mistress

Infants, Crescent Road, in connection with Christ Church National, built in 1875, for 120 children, average attendance, 118; Miss Annie Ruffell, mistress


And Last updated on: Saturday, 01-Apr-2017 12:54:24 BST