UK pub history and historical Street directory
The pub history sites are regularly updated by Stephen and Kevan, plus an 'open' group of like-minded individuals on a daily basis;
and anyone is welcome to contribute.
To contact the pubs history site, please email deadpubs
History of Great Warley
As always, I start the history of an area with a few trade directories, Pubs and
The 1841 census for Great
Warley, Chafford Hundred
The history of the
Great Warley Barracks; originally home of the troops of the East India
Great Warley 1848 Whites Directory
Great Warley 1855 Post Office Directory
Great Warley 1874 Post Office Directory -
1874 Commercial Traders
Great Warley 1882 Kellys Directory -
1882 Private residents -
1882 Commercial Traders
Great Warley 1886 Kellys Directory -
1886 Private Residents -
1886 Commercial Traders
Great Warley 1894 Kellys Directory -
1894 Private Residents -
1894 Commercial Traders
There are fifteen historical Public Houses listed in
Warley - There was a
considerable Barrack area in Little Warley, initially set up in the 1770's as an
adhoc (non-permanent) camp, although Parish Records show there to have
been a military presence as early as 1742 . In 1804, 116 acres of land was
purchased from George Winn, the owner of Great Warley manor. Barracks built for
two troops of horse artillery, i.e. ten officers and 306 men; plus 222 horses
were to be stabled.
The East India Company, transferred here in 1843 from Brompton Barracks,
Chatham, Kent, costing £15000 but requiring alterations to house 7 officers, 21
staff sergeants and 800 men.
Also, the Essex Regiment chapel was built at a cost of £2147 . By end of 1857;
2,500 men had passed through the barracks and shipped to India.
Training was initially for artillery and infantry but also included 3092 cavalry
recruits despatched to Calcutta by August, 1858.
Many were also garrisoned in the town.
Administrative rights of the East
India Company were transferred to the Crown in 1860
The War office took possession of Warley Barracks in 1861, and a depot battery
of Royal Artillery was stationed there.
In 1864, Warley became a depot for the Guards.
In 1870, the Royal Scots were in occupation and when the Guards were transferred
In 1873 after the Guards, the 44th and 56th Regiments of Foot were there. *
In 1881 important changes, known
as the Cardwell Reforms, were made. As a result the various infantry units of a
county or district were grouped territorially. In Essex the 44th (East Essex)
Regiment and the 56th (West Essex) Regiment were brought together and called the
1st and 2nd Battalions of The Essex Regiment. The two units of the ancient
militia, the East Essex Militia and the Essex (Rifles) Militia, were
re-designated the 3rd and 4th (Militia) Battalions of The Essex Regiment, while
the depot companies of these four units were brought together at Warley Barracks
and formed into the Regimental Depot. Finally the various Corps of Essex Rifle
Volunteers became the four Volunteer Battalions of the Regiment. In this manner
was the foundation laid for the Territorial Army. **
the formation of the 2nd Battalion of the Irish Guards dates from the 15th July
1915, when it was announced that His Majesty the King had been “graciously
pleased to approve” of the formation of two additional Battalions of Foot
Guards—the 4th Grenadier Guards, and the 2nd Battalion Irish Guards, which was
to be made up out of the personnel of the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion. And,
officially, on July 18 that formation took place. But those who knew the world
in the old days, and specially the busy part of it that had Warley Barracks for
its heart, know that the 2nd Battalion was born in spirit as in substance, long
ere the authorities bade it to be. The needs of the war commanded it; the
abundance of the reserves then justified it; and, though Warley Barracks had
been condemned as unfit for use by the Honourable the East India Company a
trifle of fifty odd years ago, this was not the hour to stand on ancient
tradition. So the old, crazy barracks overflowed; the officers’ damp and
sweating dog-kennels were double-crammed; and, by sheer goodwill and stark
discipline, the work went forward to the creation.
Warley Barracks is now the Ford administration
* Warley Magna to Great Warley - George
Harper(1956) - This book is very good, but lacks any references to source
material, and is therefore suspect as to whether information is correct.
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.