I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Hornchurch 1862 Post Office Directory

 History of Hornchurch

Hornchurch is a village and parish, pleasantly situate on the main road from Romford to Upminster, 2 miles south-east from the railway station of the former, 1 from the latter, and 14 from London. It is within the liberty of Havering-atte-Bower, Romford union and county court district, southern division of Essex, bishopric of Rochester, archdeaconry of Essex, and deanery of Barking, and contained in 1861 a population of 2,247. Here are foundry and agricultural implement works, brick and tile and drainpipe making, brewing and malting. There are almshouses founded by Dame Appleton in 1587, rebuilt in 1838; and others by John Pennant, in 1587, restored by Thos mashiter Esq, in 1837. There are 25 charities connected with this parish, distributed at various times, according to the directions of benevolent donors deceased. A boar’s head is, by ancient custom, wrestled for on Christmas day, Hornchurch parish contains nearly 6,799 acres of arable, grass and marsh lands. It is bounded on the west and east by the rivers Ingrebourn and Rom, and by the Thames on the south, David McIntosh, Esq, is the lord of the liberty, but most of the land belongs to New College, Oxford. A priory of St Nicholas and St Bernard, subordinate to the hospital of Monte Govis, was founded here in the reign of Henry II, and purchased by William of Wykeham, and by him given to New Colege. The living is a vicarage, annual value £740, with residence, in the gift of New College, Oxford; the Rev Daniel George Stacy, BCL, is the incumbent, having been presented thereto in 1831; the Rev Thomas Cuming Dean, AKC, is the officiating minister. The church of St Andrew is an old spacious building; has a nave, chancel, north and south aisle, and porches, with a large square tower, turreted and embattled, crowned with a neat spire, the whole rising 170 feet from the base; there is a peal of 6 bells, an organ and a clock. Hornchurch Hall, Great Nelmes, Ardley Lodge, Harrow Lodge, Fair Kytes, langtons and Britons, are seats within the parish. This parish is in the Eastern postal district.
Havering Well, 1 mile north of the village, is a hamlet of Hornchurch.

Post & Money order Office – Thomas Hampshire, postmaster. Letters delivered 7.30, dispatched 6.20
Insurance Agents:-
Royal Farmers, Commercial & Agricultural Fire, Life & Hail, William Hobbs
Liverpool & London Fire & Life, Thomas martin

Parish Clerk, George Oxley
National School, Frederick Jenvey, master; Miss Maria Walker, mistress
Carrier – Jacob Munt, from his own house to London, on tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays, returns same days

Private Residents

Bearblock John, esq
Bearblock Peter, esq
Brown Philip, esq, Great Garden
Cooper William, esq
Dean Rev Thomas Cuming, AKC [officiating minister]
Dendy Richard, esq, Grosvenor House
Du-Cane Major Francis, Ardley Lodge
Hill Charles, esq, Harrow Lodge
Lambert Robert, esq, Sutton Gate
Mashiter Thomas, esq, The Lodge
Miles William, esq, Bush Elms
Newman Rev Thomas Harding, DD, Great Nelmes
Stacy Rev Daniel George, DCL
Truston Mrs, Haveringwell House
Wagener John, esq, Langtons
Walter John, esq, Brittains
White Richard, esq, Haveringwell Villa



And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-Mar-2017 21:19:43 GMT