I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Hornchurch 1874 Post Office Directory

 History of Hornchurch

Hornchurch is a village and parish, pleasantly situauted on the road from Romford to Upminster; it is within the liberty of Havering atte Bower, in the southern division of the county, Romford union and county court district, rural deanery of Barking, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of Rochester, 2 miles south east from the railway station at Romford and 14 from London, bounded on the east and west by the rivers Ingrebourne and Rom. The church of St Andrew is an old spacious stone building, having a chancel, nave, aisles and porches, with a large square tower, turreted and embattled, and surmounted by a spire, the whole 170 feet from the base; there is a peal of 6 bells, an organ, and a clock: the chancel was restored in 1869, and a stained window added to the memory of Thomas Mashiter esq. The register dates from the year 1576. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 740, with residence, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held by the Rev Thomas Henry Griffith BCL, of that College, who was presented in 1863. There are twenty five charities connected with this parish, distributes at various times, according to the directions of the donors.  There are three almshouses, founded by Dame Appleton in 1587, rebuilt in 1838; and two others by John Pennant, in 1587, restored by Thomas Mashiter esq, in 1837. Here is a  foundry, manufactory of steam engines and boilers, and agricultural implement works; brick and tile and drain pipe making, brewing, and malting are carried on. A priory of  St Nicholas and St Bernard, subordinate to the hospital of Monte Govis, was founded here in the reign of Henry II, and purchased by William of Wykeham and by him given to New College. Hornchurch Hall, Great Nelmes, Ardley Lodge, Harrow Lodge, Fair Kytes, Langtons and Britons, are seats within the parish. David McIntosh, esq is the lord of the liberty, but most of the land belongs to New College, Oxford. The soil is of a light nature; subsoil, gravel. The area is 6,874 acres of arable, grass and marsh lands; gross estimated rental 20,551; rateable value, 17,704; in 1871 the population was 2,476.

Havering Well, 1 mile north of the village, is a hamlet of Hornchurch

Parish Clerk, Benjamin Lazell

Post & Money Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank Mrs Eunice Hampshire, post mistress. Letters arrive from Romford at 5.30 and 11.30 am; dispatched at 3.40 & 6.20 pm.

Insurance agent :

Atlas, G Beckett

Liverpool & London & Globe, F  Stratford

National school, Frederick Jenvey, master; Mrs Emily jenvey, mistress

Carrier to London John Munt, from his own house, on tues, thurs & sat, returning same days

 


And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-Mar-2017 21:22:33 GMT