I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Hornchurch 1878 Kellys Directory

 

 History of Hornchurch

Hornchurch is a village and parish, pleasantly situated on the road from Romford to Upminster; it is within the liberty of Havering ate Bower, in the southern division of the county, Romford union and county court district, rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans, 2 miles south east from Romford railway station and 2 from Harold Wood railway station, which is in this parish, and 14 from London, bounded on the east and west by the rivers Ingrebourne and Rom. The church of St Andrew is an old spacious stone building, having a chancel, nave, aisles and porches, with a large square tower, turreted and embattled and surmounted by a spire, the whole 170 feet from the base; there are 6 bells, an organ, and a clock: the chancel was restored in 1869, and a stained window added to the memory of Thomas Mashiter esq; and the whole church was restored in 1871 at a cost of about £2,000. The register dates from the year 1576. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £740, with residence, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held by the Rev Robert Johnson MA, of St John’s College, Cambridge. An iron church was built in 1871 by subscription at Harold Wood, as a chapel of ease to the parish church. There are several small charities, which are now in the hands of the charity commissioners. Three almshouses, founded by Dame Appleton in 1587, restored by Thomas Mashiter esq, in 1837. Here are foundries, a manufactory of steam engines and boilers, and agricultural implement works; brick and tile and drain pipe making, brewing, and malting are carried on. A priory of  St Nicholas and St Bernard, subordinate to the hospital of Monte Govis, was founded here in the reign of Henry II, and purchased by William of Wykeham and by him given to New College. Great Nelmes, an ancient stone mansion, situated in a park of about 50 acres, on the outskirts of the village, is the residence of the Rev T H Newman, DD. Grey Towers, a handsome castellated Gothic stone mansion, of about the twelfth century, standing in a park of about 50 acres, at the entrance to the village, is the seat of Henry Holmes, esq: there is a finely decorated entrance hall of the above period; the hall and staircase being of black and white marble, and ceiling of carved oak, with a very handsome stained window on the landing at the top of the staircase. Langtons, a brick mansion standing in a small park, is the residence of John Wagener esq. Hornchurch Lodge, a brick mansion standing in a park of about 30 acres, and containing handsome pleasure grounds, adjoins the high road, and is the residence of Edward Thomas Helme esq. Fair Kytes, a modern brick house, situated in the village, is the residence of Joseph Fry, esq JP. Here is a Drill Hall, erected by public subscription, at a cost of about £400, for the 15th Essex Rifle Volunteers, who muster an enrolled strength of 80; captain, H P Fry. David McIntosh, esq is the lord of the liberty, but most of the land belongs to New College, Oxford. The soil is of a light nature; subsoil, gravel. The area is 6,874 acres of arable, grass and marsh lands; rateable value, £20,750; in 1871 the population was 2,476.

Havering Well, 1 mile north of the village, is a hamlet of Hornchurch

 Parish Clerk, Joseph Lazell

Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank – Miss Julia Hampshire, post mistress. Letters arrive from Romford at 5.30 and 11 am; dispatched at 3.20 & 6.20 pm; delivery commences at 7 am.

Insurance agent – Liverpool & London & Globe, F A Stratford

Railway Station, Harold Wood, Fredk Flegg, station master

Schools:-

 National, Fredk Jenvey, master; Mrs Emily Jenvey, mistress

 Infant, Miss Charlotte Baker, mistress

 

Carrier to London – William McPherson Mordan, from his own house, on tues, thurs & sat, returning same days

Carrier to Romford – William George Patience, twice a day from his house, the Bridge Inn

 


And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-Mar-2017 21:25:56 GMT