I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Hornchurch 1894 Kellys Directory

 

 History of Hornchurch

Hornchurch is a large village and parish, on the road from Romford to Upminster and bounded on the east and west by the rivers Ingrebourne and Rom, with a station on the London, Tilbury and Southend railway, 2 miles north west, and the junction of the line to Romford and 14 from London. The parish is in the Romford division of the county, Romford Petty sessional division union, and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans. The village is lighted with gas supplied from Romford. The church of St Andrew is an ancient building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north porch, and a large embattled western tower with a turret and spire, the whole rising to a height of 170 feet and containing a clock and 6 bells, all of which were recast in 1778: the chancel was restored in 1869, and a stained east window erected as a memorial to  Thomas Mashiter esq, of Hornchurch Lodge, d 1862; and there are five others: the chancel has a reredos of carved stone, a piscine and sedilia: on the west wall is a curiously carved marble tablet to Thomas  Witherings esq, chief postmaster of Great Britain, ob 1651: the church was restored in 1871 at a cost of about £2,000: there are also three other stained windows in the south aisle, a very fine reredos of carved stone and on the west wall a curiously carved marble tablet to Thos Witherings esq, chief postmaster of Great Britain, who died 1651. The register, which is in good condition, dates from the year 1576. The living is nominally a vicarage, but is in the nature of a chaplaincy, exempt from ecclesiastical jurisdiction, gross yearly value £740, with residence, in the gift of the Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford, who grant the vicar what is termed a “lease” and held since 1878 by the Rev Robert Johnson MA, of St John’s College, Cambridge. The Baptist chapel, erected at a cost of £840, and opened September 21, 1882, is an edifice of brick with stone dressings and occupies a site given by Mr J A Abraham, of Upminster; it will seat 220 persons. Here is a manufactory for agricultural implements; and brewing and malting are carried on. There are several small charities, producing in all about £220 yearly, and now in the hands of the charity commissioners. There is also a charity left by Mrs Massus for ten aged poor who have never accepted parochial relief, each receiving £6 2s yearly; and another charity founded by Mrs Hyde, for apprenticing two poor boys from Hornchurch and one from Romford yearly. Three almshouses, left by Henry Appleton, 1587, were rebuilt in 1838 and are occupied by old parishioners. To others left by John Pennant, in 1597, were restored by Thomas Mashiter esq, in 1837 and are also tenanted by old parishioners. The Volunteer Drill hall was erected by subscription at a cost of £400 for the H company of the 1st Volunteer Batt Essex regiment, which has a muster roll strength of 92, and the battery of the 1st Essex Volunteer Artillery, Eastern Division, Royal Artillery, 69 strong, has a drill hall in High Street, erected by Major H Holmes, of Grey Towers, at a cost of £500. The children’s homes here, erected in 1890 by the Guardians of the parish of St Leonard, Shoreditch, comprise a series of double fronted cottages for the children of that parish: these consist of six cottages for boys and five for girls, each arranged to hold 30 children, who are under the care of foster parents: the buildings include a school (part of which is used as a chapel), bakery, laundry and various workshops: the entrance block is used as a preliminary abode, in which children, after admission, remain for 14 days, previous to their being permanently located in one of the homes: the buildings occupy an area of 14 acres, and there is an attached farm of 70 acres: the staff consists of a superintendent and matron, head schoolmaster and a mistress, with assistant teachers, chaplain, medical officer, foster parents and industrial training teachers. A priory, dedicated to St Nicholas and St Bernard, subordinate to the hospital of Monte Jovis, in the diocese of Sedun or Syon, in Savoy, was founded here in the reign of Henry II, and afterwards had attached to it, c 1245, by Peter, earl of Savoy, the Savoy Palace in the Strand, London: the revenues of this cell being seized with other priories alien were purchased by William of Wykeham, bishop of Winchester, and by him given to New College, Oxford, of which in 1380, he was the founder. Great Nelmes, an ancient stone mansion, situated in a park of about 50 acres, on the outskirts of the village, and the property of the B Harding Newman esq., is the residence of Harry Holes esq, and was once occupied by Thomas Withering esq, chief postmaster of Great Britain. Grey Towers, a castellated mansion, in the style of the twelfth century, standing in a park of about 50 acres, at the entrance to the village, is the seat of Major Henry Holmes, DL, JP: there is a finely decorated entrance hall and staircase of black and white marble, with a ceiling of carved oak, and a good stained window on the landing at the top of the staircase. Great Langtons, a brick mansion standing in a small park, is at present unoccupied. Hornchurch Lodge, a mansion of brick, standing in a park of about 30 acres, with handsome pleasure grounds, adjoins the high road, and is the property of Thomas Mashiter esq, of Manor House, Little Bookham, Leatherhead, is at present occupied by Mrs Fenner. Fairkytes, a modern brick house, situated in the village, is the residence of Joseph Fry, esq DL, JP, high steward of the manor of Havering. Mrs mackintosh, of Havering park, is lady of the manor. The soil is of a light nature; subsoil, gravel. The area is 6,767 acres of arable, grass and marsh lands and 155 water; rateable value, £25,279; the population in 1891  was 3,841, including 336 in Shoreditch Workhouse schools.

Harold Wood is a hamlet, 3 miles north, with a station on the main line of the Great Eastern railway to Colchester and Ipswich. Here is an iron church, built in 1871, and seating 300 persons. The Rev William Philp has been curate in charge since 1892. At Harold Court is a branch of the Essex County Asylum for 65 male patients. There is also a factory for making fireworks.

Ardleigh Green is a hamlet, 1 ½ miles north

Havering Well is a hamlet, 1 mile west and a half a mile south of Romford

South Hornchurch is a part of the parish, extending to the banks of the River Thames and adjoining Rainham station on the Tilbury and Southend railway.

  The City of London Rifle ranges are here, and adjoin Rainham

Parish Clerk and Sexton, Charles Fell

Post, M O & T O, S B & Annuity, Insurance & Express Delivery Office, Hornchurch – Thomas Betts, postmaster. Letters arrive from Romford at 5.15 & 10 am & 3.20 pm; dispatched at 10.40 am, 1.20, 3, 7.23 & 9.20 pm; first delivery commences at 6 am

Post, M O & T O, S B & Annuity, Insurance & Express Delivery Office, Harold Wood – Miss Caroline Joscelyne, postmistress. Letters arrive via Romford at 8 & 11.45 am & 7.30 pm & are dispatched at 11.45 am & 6.10 & 9 pm; Sundays 9.10 am

 

Schools.

  A school board of 5 members was formed 29 Mar, 1889; W Smith, Romford, clerk to the board.

Board, late National, erected in 1855;  Frederick Jenvey, master; Mrs Emily Jenvey, mistress; Miss Charlotte Baker, infants mistress

Board, Park Lane, erected in 1893 at a cost of £3,759; W H Palmer, master; Miss A Bowey, mistress; Miss F Sibley, infants mistress

Board (Harold Wood), lately National, built in the year 1885, at a cost of £560, for 80 children, average attendance, 59; Mrs Amy Rose Brett, mistress

South Hornchurch, Wood Lane (infants), built in 1864, for 60 children, average attendance, 51; Miss Sarah Margaret Weedon, mistress

 

Railway Stations :-

 Harold Wood, Frederick Flegg, station master

Hornchurch, J A Smith, station master

Carrier to London – Walter Dale ( to the Saracens Head, 5 Aldgate), on tues, thurs & sat, returning same days

 


And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-Mar-2017 21:33:21 GMT