• Home
  • London Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • UK Pub history and historical street directory of London and the UK

    This Christmas, 120 thousand children in the UK will be homeless - You could help change this

    Search the pub history sites by licensee, address or pub

    Ashford, East Ashford, Ashford with Shepway

    Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories

    Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z

    Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.

    ASHFORD is a market town and railway station, in the hundred of Longbridge, lathe of Shepway, West Ashford union, East Kent; 53 miles from London by road, and 47 miles by railway, 21 miles from Dover, 14 miles from Canterbury, 30 miles from Ramsgate, 31 miles from Maidstone, and 26 miles from Hastings by railway. It stands in a beautiful situation on the river Stour, and the surrounding country is fertile and picturesque. The High Street is about half a mile in length, and very wide. A market is held every Tuesday for corn, in the Assembly Rooms to the south of the Old Town. Many new buildings have sprung around the railway station. Beyond that is the New
    Town. There is also a fine cattle market here on the first and third Tuesday in the month, which is considered one of the largest in the county. The magistrates hold sittings at the Saracen's Head on the first Saturday in the month; the County Court is held here also. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is an old and handsome building in the perpendicular style. It has been greatly restored and beautified in the last few years. The living is a vicarage. There is also a free grammar school here. The Baptist Society of Friends, Wesleyans, and Connexion of the Countess of Huntingdon, have each their respective temples. The population in 1851 was 5,007. Henwood, East Stour, Sprotland, Beaver, and Barrow Hill adjoin the town. Ripton is half a mile east; Sparrow Hall, half a mile north; Bybrook, half a mile north.

    POST-OFFICE, High street - John Tunbridge, Post-Master. Money Orders are
    granted and paid at this Office.

    Public Houses in Ashford

    TRADERS in Ashford 1858 Melvilles Directory

    A to I ; J to Y

    BANKERS.
    Jemmett, Pomfret, Burra, and Simonds, High street. - Draw on Smith, Payne, and Smiths.
    Savings' Bank, High street. Thomas Thurston, Clerk.
    Branch of London and County Bank, High street.- John Drake, Manager. Draw on London Establishment, 21, Lombard street.

    PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
    Gas Works. - George Berry, Engineer and Manager to the Company, Marsh street.
    Water Works Company's Office, Bank street. - Clerk, William King,
    Inland Revenue Office, Royal Oak Inn. - Frederick Hill, Officer.
    Police Station. - David Dewer, Superintendent Officer.
    The Corn Market, High street.
    The Pish and Meat Market, High street.

    PLACES OF WORSHIP AND SCHOOLS.
    Countess of Huntingdon's Chapel, in the Villa.
    Chapel of Ease, New Town.
    Wesleyan Chapel, Drum lane. - Ministers, various.
    Primitive Methodist Chapel, New Rent - Ministers various.
    Girls' British School, Forge lane, Miss Hinckley, Mistress - Infant School, Mrs. Charlton, Mistress. - Boys' School, Thomas Gortley, Master.
    Large School, attached to Chapel, New Town. - John Garraway, Schoolmaster; Miss Cobb, Schoolmistress.


    GENTRY

    Alcock, Rev. John Price, M.A., Vicar of Ashford and Ruial Dean, College
    Banton, Miss M. A., 12, Barrow hill terrace
    Bayley, Mr. John Henry, New Rents
    Beet, William M.D., High street
    Bugler, Mr. John, 7, Church villas
    Burra, William Pomfret, Esq., Bridge house
    Burra, William, Esq. East-hill house
    Cook Mr. Thomas, 3, Barrow-hill terrace
    Cooper, Mrs. Martha, North street
    Creery, Leslie, Esq., North street
    Crofts, Rev. Edward, Wesleyan Minister, 8, Barrow-hill terrace
    Crothall, Mr., Marsh street
    Dangerfield, Abraham, Esq., High street
    Dobree, John H. Esq., High street
    Dorman, Mr. John, 6, Church villas
    Drake, John, Esq., High street
    Eastes, Mr. James Smith, Raglan place
    Foster, Mrs. Sarah, New street
    Furley, Robert, Esq., North street
    Gambrill, Mr. William, 10, Church villas
    Greenhill, Mr. Richard, Whist house
    Greenhill, Mr. Stephen, High street
    Hagger, Miss Letitia, New street
    Hallett, Frederick Hughes, Esq., Barrow hill
    Hill, Mrs., 4, Church villas
    Howell, Mr. William, Queen street
    Hyland, Mr. Frederick, High street
    Jell, Mr. George, Barrow-hill place
    King, Misses, North street
    Kingsford, Montague, Esq., Alfred house
    Kingsworth, Mr. Thomas, 8, Church villas
    Lepine, Mrs. Elizabeth, High street
    Maund, Henry, Esq., High street
    Morgan, Rev. Robert, B.A., Brook place
    Nickalls Mr. Thomas, Hemsted place
    Norwood, Mrs. Elizabeth, High street
    Read, Mrs. Roda, New rents
    Redhouse, Mr. Robert Franklin, New street
    Reeve, Mrs. Ann, New rents
    Rogers, Mrs. Mary Ann, New rents
    Sackett, Mrs., 7, Barrow-hill terrace
    Sambourne, Henry, Esq., Bridge street
    Scott, Mr. Henry, 5, Church villas
    Sheppard, William, Esq., High street
    Sidders, Mrs. Elizabeth, 18, Queen-street
    Stoddart, Misses, High street
    Stoneham, Mrs. George, 9, Church villas
    Taylor, Mr. P. N., Raglan place
    Taylor, Mr. John, 6, Raglan-place
    Thorpe, Mr. Richard, North street
    Thorpe, Mr. B., 3, Church villas
    Thorp, Mrs. E., New street
    Turner, Mr. Alfred, 5, Raglan place
    Turner, Mrs. 2, Barrow hill terrace
    Underdown, Mrs. E., Queen-street
    Whitfleld, Henry, Esq., High-street
    Whitfield, William, Esq., Dover place
    Whitfield, Misses, Mary and Elizabeth, 2, Queen street
    Wilks,George Frederick, Esq., North street
    Worger, John, senr., Esq., High street

    And Last updated on: Monday, 13-Apr-2015 21:47:10 BST