Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
CHILLENDEN is a village, five miles S.W. of Sandwich, and eight miles east of Canterbury, Eastry hundred and union, lathe of St. Augustine, East Kent. The population in 1851 was 140. The church of All Saints is a small building. The living is a Rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. Thomas Clarkson, rector.
Letters received through Sandwich. The nearest Money Order Offices are at Sandwich and Wingham.
Rev Thomas Clarkson, Rectory
Beerling, Samuel, miller
Bartlett, John, shoemaker
Court, George, farmer
Hoile, William and Thomas, blacksmiths
Holding, Robert, grocer
Head, carpenter and wheelwright
Pettit, Mrs. Harriet, the Griffins
Smith, John, farm bailiff