Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
FARNBOROUGH is an extensive parish and village, with the hamlets of Grinstead Green and Lock's Bottom, with a population of about 920 inhabitants. It lies on the road from London to Sevenoaks, four miles from Bromley, and 14 from London; is in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Ruxley hundred, West Kent. The church of St. Giles is an old building of flint and brick. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the adjoining parish of Chelsfield; the Rev. Follett Baugh, M.A., rector of Ohelsfield, incumbent.
Grinstead Green, or Greenstreet Green, is a hamlet partly in this parish and partly in Chelsfield, one mile south-by-east from Farnborough. Lock's Bottom is another hamlet in the parish of Farnborough, from which village it is three quarters of a mile north-by-west. The Bromley union workhouse is situated here, and will hold 200 inmates; also the police station.
POST-OFFICE. - Robert Sessions, Receiver. New Inn Letters arrive from Bromley, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Public Houses in Farnborough
Fowler, Mr. John Smith, Rev. Rowland, M.A,, Curate
|Bird, Edward, grocer
Davis, James, harness maker
Eagleton, John, seedsman
Fowler, John, surgeon
Gearing, Joseph, blacksmith
Giles, Thomas, market gardener
Havill, Thomas, George and Dragon Commercial Inn
Head, Miss Harriet, infant schoolmistress
Kidman, William, butcher
|Ladd, George, baker
Nash, John, boot and shoe maker
Roberts, Silas, grocer
Sawyer, William, beer retailer
Sessions, Robert, New Inn, and post-office
Stow, William, farmer
Stow, Thomas, fruiterer
Whiffin, Henry, farmer
Woolsey, William, tailor