STURRY and FORDWICH. Story (Stour eye), the Isle of the Stour, and Fordwich. The
place of the ford is situated on the river Stour, at the point where the Margate
and Herne Bay roads diverge. Sturry is in Bleengate hundred. The population in
1851 was 997, and Fordwich 237 inhabitants. Sturry Church, Rev. Charles Wharton,
M.A., vicar. St. Mary's Church, Fordwich, Rev. Edward Brailsford, M.A., rector.
There is also a Wesleyan Chapel. Walmore Hill is half a mile N.E.; Switch and
Broad Oak half a mile N.E.; Shelford one mile N.W.; Carkett one mile and a half
north; Hicks Fostal, two miles north ; Blacklands two miles N.W.
GENTRY. Brailsford, Rev. Edward, M.A.,
Rector Pearse, Richard Philip, Esq., Sydenham house
Austen, Thomas, George and Dragon
Brown, Charles, carpenter
Friar, George, boot and shoe maker, and parish clerk
Kennett, William & Son, nursery and seedsmen Kensey, William, baker and grocer
Leman, James John, coal merchant
Mead, Charles, cattle salesman and auctioneer Moys, Valentine, Fordwich Arms
Noble, William, linendraper
Walter, John, grocer and baker
Webb, Thomas, farmer Wootton, John, farmer
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.