Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
GRAVESEND is a market town, borough, seaport, and union, in the lathe of
and hundred of Toltingtrough, West Kent. It was anciently called Graves-ham, but
better authorities suppose its name to be derived from the word Gerefa, or Groef,
signifying the residence of a portreve; hence it was called Gravesend.
The town is incorporated, and is governed by a mayor, six aldermen, and 18
councillors. There are several very handsome streets and public buildings. The
population of the borough in 1851 was 16,633. It is distant 24 miles from London
by railway, seven from Dartford, seven from Strood, and four from Greenhithe.
Gravesend is the boundary of the port of London, where all vessels arriving from
abroad take the Customers Officers on board, and discharge them when outward
bound; and large ships frequently remain here for some time before they finally
leave. Here are dockyards, breweries, distilleries, iron foundries, soap works,
roperies, brick works etc. The town imports coal and timber in large quantities,
and exports chalk lim from the Rosherville and Northfleet quarries. Just below
the Town Hall is the High street, are the newly erected and commodious premises
of Messrs Troughton and Bevan, which is the largest business establishment of
the kind in the town. The structure has a novel effect, the shop front being
entirely of cast iron, manufactured by the firm, with plate glass, inlaid with
fancy iron work, and from its height, position etc, has a commanding appearance.
Gravesend church was destroyed by fire in 1727, but was rebuilt at a cost of
£5,000; and in compliment to the king, George II, was called St. George's. The
building is quite plain, being of brick, with stone cornices. The living is a
Milton church is situated about a mile on the Dover road; it is dedicated to St
Peter and St paul. Holy Trinity church, Milton, was erected in 1845, at a cost
it is in the decoarted style, and consists of nave, chancel and transepts. St
Jame's church in the London road, was erected in 1851. It is in the gothic
style, and contains accommodation for 827 persons.
Christ church, in Milton parish, was erected in 1851, and is in the gothic style
Rosherville Gardens are delightfully situated about half a mile from the town,
justly celebrated as the most beautiful public gardens in the kingdom. In
the season there are a variety of amusements; and galas and fetes are given,
which conclude with a magnificent display of fireworks.
BOROUGH OF GRAVESEND.
MAYOR - William Fletcher, Esq.
RECORDER - Standish Grove Grady, Esq.
MAGISTRATES - Robert Oakes, Henry Ditchburn, Dr. Ridge, Edward Lacy, Medhurst
Troughton, John Smith, John Saddington, Walter Hills, Esqrs.
Pearson, Charles, clerk to justices
Hilder, Edward Augustus, coroner
Sharland, George Edward, town clerk
Newman, William, treasurer
White, Frederick, superintendent of police
Aitkin, Robert, sergeant at mace
London and County Bank, High street. - T. E. Pittock, Manager.
Gravesend Bank, High street. - Hills and Son.
Bank of Deposit, Anglo-Australian Company, 10, Parrock street. - James Hinwood,
Manager; J. J. Ridge, Esq., Managing Director.
Savings' Bank, Harmer street. - Henry Newman, Actuary.
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, INSTITUTIONS, &c.
General Post-Office, Milton street. - William Newman, Postmaster.
G-ravesend and Milton Cemetery, Old road. - John Gould, jun., Agent.
London and Tilbury Railway Office, Town Pier.
Literary and Scientific Institution and Reading Rooms, Harmer street
Gravesend and Milton Union Workhouse. - Mr. and Mrs. S. Dewdney, Master and
Gas Works, Canal - G. A. Everest, Manager.
Custom House. - Mrs, Masterman, Housekeeper.
Garrison Fort, Whitehall place. - Colonel Kelly, Commandant.
Town Hall, High street.
Gas Company's Office, Berkley crescent. - John James Everest, Clerk.
Gravesend and Milton Infirmary, Bath street - Earl of Darnley, president;
Medhurst Troughton, Esq., Treasurer; Messrs Southgate and Steward, secretaries;
W. H. Plight, House Surgeon.
Register Office for Births, Deaths, and Marriages.- Mr. F. Southgate,
Superintendent; Mr. T. Butcher Registrar.
School of Practical Navigation, Clifton House, Clifton terrace. - George H.
PLACES OP WORSHIP AND SCHOOLS.
Holy Trinity Church. - Rev. Richard Joynes, M.A., Incumbent ; Rev. W. Roberts,
St. George's Church. - Rev. Robert Joynes, M.A., Rector; Rev. T. Huckman,
St. James's Church. - Rev. John Joynes, M.A., Incumbent.
Christ Church, Milton. - Rev. Felix A. Marsh, Curate.
Milton Church. - Rev. John Stokes, M.A., Rector; Rev. W. D. Johnston, M.A.,
Curate; Rev. R. W. Whitford, M.A., Assistant Curate.
St. Mark's Church, Rosherville. - Rev. Frederick Southgate, Perpetual Curate.
Roman Catholic Chapels, King street and Parrock street.
Zoar Chapel, Peacock street. - Rev. Thomas Stringer, Minister.
Independent Chapel, Princess street. - Rev. B. H. Klunt, Minister.
Primitive Methodist Chape], Stone street. - Messrs. Burke and Mitchel,
Milton Church Schools, Russell street. - Miss Wood, Mistress.
Ditto Infants'. - Miss E. Wood, Mistress.
British School, Peacock street. - Mr. R. Frost, Master.
Infant School, New road. - Miss Siburn, Mistress.
National Schools, King street. - William H. Edney, Master; Mrs. Crane, Mistress.
Princess street Chapel Day School, on the British System, Kempthorne street. -
Mr. Stockley, Master; Miss Nichols, Mistress.
Ragged School, Clifton road
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.