HERNE BAY is a pleasant watering-place, and situated on a beautiful bay on the
northern coast of the county, in Herne parish, Bleangate hundred, and Blean
union. Distant nine miles from Canterbury, and six north from Sturry station.
in 1851 was 1,361. The town is well lighted with gas; a markethouse has been
built. Christ Church is capable of accommodating upwards of 800 persons,
inclusive of free sittings; the Rev. George Greaves, M.A., is perpetual curate.
There are National and Infant Schools. The Independent chapel is a neat
building. Wesleyan chapel, ministers various. Assembly Rooms, opposite the pier.
Gas works, King street. Literary institution, William street. Coast guard
station, near St. G«orge's terrace. The clock tower, Marine parade.
POST-OFFICE. - James Collins, Postmaster. Letters arrive from Canterbury by
GENTRY. Brough, John, Esq., Thatched Cottage Cartaar, Mrs., Esplanade buildings Dockeral, Mr. William, Underdowns street
Evans, Rev. George W. D., 9, Marine terrace
Parley, Mr. Thomas, 2, Underdowns street
Gloss, Robert, Catherine lodge, Underdowns. street
Greaves, Rev. George, M.A., incumbent of Christ church, 13, Marine terrace Macleburg, John, Esq., Agnes Cottage
Newman, Rev. John, Independent minister
Reynolds, George W. W., Esq., Belmore Hall Slowman, Abraham, Esq. Tapsell, Mrs., High street Tassell, Mr. John, Talford terrace Thurlow, Captain, St. George's terrace
Tupper, Mr. John
Wylie, Mrs., Brunswick house
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.