Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
HIGH HALDEN is a small village, three miles N.E. from Tenterden, and six south from Pluckley Station. The population in 1851 was 677. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a rectory in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the Rev. Richard Shutte, M.A., is the incumbent. Harbourn is half a mile south; Wagstaff two miles N.W.; Buckhurstden one mile and a half S.W.
POST-OFFICE. - John ofe, Postmaster. Letters received from Tenterden, the
nearest Money Order Office is at Tenterden.
Collins, Mr. John
Kirbank, Mr. Thomas
Latter, Henry, Esq.
Shutte, Rev. Richard, M.A., Rectory
Ackhurst, James, earthenware manufacturer
Barnes, William, beer retailer br /> Brissenden, James, farmer
Burch, Jeremiah, farmer
Burch, William, farmer
Carpenter, William, farmer
Carter, William, butcher and shopkeeper
Farrence, William, earthenware manufacturer
Gauge, Francis, farmer
Hukins, Richard, farmer
Hukins, George, farmer
Martin, Alfred, parish clerk
McLeod, R., farmer, Peartree Farm
Oliver, Thomas, farmer
Pearson, James, farmer
Pearson, Thomas, carpenter
Pearson, Thomas, miller
Rofe, John, shopkeeper and post-master
Small, Thomas, farmer
Tickner, John, farmer
Wood, Edward, farmer
Woodgate, Wm, Chequers, and carpenter