Margate is a watering-place, sea port town, and parish, in the parish of St.
in Ringlow hundred and the Isle and union of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine,
East Kent. The parish contained, in 1851, a population of 10,099: St. John's,
4,913 ; Trinity, 5,186, not having much increased of late years; the town, in
1851, contained 9,107 inhabitants. Margate is much frequented as a
watering-place, for which it is well adapted from its situation, having an easy
and quick access both by steamboat and railway. It is improving fast, having
many handsome houses new building; it is also well paved and lighted with gas.
The Esplanade is parallel to the Marine Terrace,
and extends a quarter of a mile in length. With the piers, Margate possess the
advantage of excellent promenades, and its shore for bathing is very good. The
lighthouse is on the pier, and a fine view is obtained from it. The Church of St
John the Baptist, an ancient edifice, is built of rough flint, with a square
tower and eight bells; there is a fine organ. The living is a vicarage, in the
gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; Rev T E Ashley is the vicar, and the Rev R
J Bird, is the curate.
Trinity Church was built in 1825, but this fabric has not any endowment for the
minister, the Rev Mr Prosser. The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is in Hawley Square;
the Roman Catholic Chapel is in Princess Crescent; the Seamen's Chapel is
opposite Zion Place; the Calvanist Chapel is in Love Lane.The Town Hall is a
plain building near the market; in it are held weekly petty sessions, and
monthly meetings of the town commissioners. The Droit Ofiice is at the end of
the pier, and is a handsome building with a portico; it has an illuminated
clock. The Custom House is on a small scale. The Post Office is in Cecil Square.
The Theatre is a convenient building. The Royal Hotel is again opened for
visitors; the Assembly Rooms, Billiard Rooms, and Coffee Rooms, are attached,
and opened daily, during the season, for concerts and balls.
There is also a Reading Room, which contains 2,500 volumes, and is well supplied
with newspapers and periodicals, and is opened daily to the subscribers.br />
TThe Museum of the Institution has a fine collection of English birds; acting Hon
Secretary Mr John Poussett. The Royal Sea-bathing Infirmary is at Westbrook. The
Gas Works belong to Margate, Ramsgate, and Broadstairs Company ; they are
situated in Dane.
Bank, King street, Cobb and Company. - Draw on Barnett, Hoares, and Co., Lombard
Savings Bank, Market place.
British School, New Cross street - Henry Smith, Master; Miss Emily Best,
Literary and Scientific Institution - Prosser, Rev. S., Patron; Caveler, Wm.,
Esq., President; Cobb, P. W., Esq., Brooke, Wm., Esq., Boys, John Harvey, Esq.,
Gilder, Wm., Esq., J.P., Slater, John, Esq., Vice Presidents; Blackburn, Thos.,
Esq., J.P., Boys, John, Esq., J.P., Hunter, George Yeates, Esq., Price, David,
Esq., M.D., F.L.S., Hatfield, Charles Taddy, Esq., Trustees; Brooke, Wm., Esq.,
Treasurer; Poussett, Mr. John, Staner, Mr. Joseph, Hon. Secretaries; Edwards,
Mr. Richard, Librarian.
Custom House, Bank Side - Stribley, Thomas, Sub-collector.
Inland Revenue Office, Queen's Arms, Duke street - Sear, Valentine, Supervisor.
Corn Market, at the Fountain Inn, King street, every Thursday, at 3 p.m.
Town Hall, Market place.
Theatre Royal, Addington street.
Tivoli Gardens - Sinclair, Mr. John, Proprietor.
Gas Works, King street.
County Court Office - Harwood, C., Esq., Judge; Boys, J. Harvey, Esq.,
Registrar; Bowling, Mr. W., High Bailiff.
Police Station, Market place - Marchant, Stephen C., Inspector.
Westbrook Royal Sea Bathing Infirmary, Supported by Voluntary Contributions -
Chexfield, Mr. George, Superintendent and Secretary.
Post Office, Cecil Square - Gore, Frederick, Postmaster.
Price's Patent Candle Company, St. John's College.
St. John the Baptist - Ashley, Rev. C. T., Vicar ; Bird, Rev. C., Curate.
Trinity Church - Prosser, Rev. Samuel, Minister; Veness, Rev. Henry Thomas,
B.A., Evening Lecturer.
Roman Catholic Chapel - Costegan, Rev. T. Ehenezer Baptist Chapel, New street - Davies, Rev. W. B., Minister.
Wesleyan Chapel, Hawley square - Ministers various.
Zion Chapel, Addington square.
Independent Chapel, Cecil street.
St. John's National School - Hawkins, Mr., Master ; Hawkins, Mrs., Mistress.
Trinity School - Stoney, Mr. George, Master; Mylard, Miss, Mistress.
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.
Here is my site for accessible transport in London, aka nogobritain.com; It is not bad, but help me to make it better.