Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
NEWENDEN is a village and parish, five miles and a half S.W. from Tenterden, and five miles from Hawkhurst. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and is a small building. The living is a rectory; the Rev. John Peachel Francis, M.A., is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was 172.
Lassingham is half a mile east; Arndent, three-quarters of a mile N.W.; Eppingham, one mile and a half S.W.; Hexden, one mile and a half north.
Letters received through Staplehurst. The nearest Money Order Office is at Tenterden.
Ayerst, Samuel, Esq., Lassingham House.
Ayerst, Thomas, merchant
Barnes, Moses, carrier
Barnes, William, grocer
Dengate, James, farmer
Edwards, Newton, While Hart Inn
Hanson, William, farmer
Russell, John, carpenter