Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
PETHAM is a parish and village in the lower half hundred, lathe of St.
Augustine, union of Bridge, East Kent, five miles from Canterbury. The
church is large, consisting of two aisles and one chancel. The living is a
vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury and Sir Courtenay
Honeywood, Bart. The Rev James Hughes Hallet, MA., is the vicar.
The population in 1851 was 630. Kenfield is one mile north; Wooton half
a mile N.W.; Broadway Green quarter of a mile south; Dane one mile
S.E.; Capel Bottom one mile west. Bockholt is a farm.
POST OFFICE - John Champion, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is at Wye.
Foss, Edward, Esq. Hallett, Rev. James Hugh, M. A., Vicarage
Hammond, Charles, Esq.
Mackay, Thomas Henry, Petham House
Taylor, Thomas, Esq.
Thompson, Richard Edward, Esq., Upper Henfield
Wilkinson, Rev. J., B.A., curate
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.