Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Rose & Crown
SHELDWICH is a village in Faversham hundred and union, two miles south of that Town. The population in 185I was 557. The .church is dedicated to St James.
The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The Rev. T.W Goldhawk, M.A., is the vicar. Shepherd's Fostal is one mile and a quarter S.E.; Hulgate Green, half a mile west; Wildertn, one mile west; North street, half a mile north.
POST-OFFICE. - William Ellis, Receiver, Sheldwioh Leys. The nearest Money Order Office is at Faversham.
Crookes, F. W. Esq.
Goldhawk, Rev, T. W., Vicar
Minter, Mr. Thomas
Sondes, Lord, Lees Court
Tassell, William, Esq., Lord's House
Bonner, Thomas, smith Minter,
Cobb, Law and John, farmers, New House
Ellen, Thomas, builder
Ellis, William, bootmaker and grocer
Finn, Edward, shopkeeper
Harris, William, Waggon and Horses
James, Mr., shopkeeper
Jackson, Thomas, tailor
Mare, John, bootmaker
Thomas, jun., farmer, Shepherd's Fostal
Mutton, Alfred, wheelwright
Read, H. H., farmer
Rogers, John, parish clerk
Sutton, John, miller
Videau, Charles, farmer, Coverings Hall
Vidion, Mrs. Catherine, Red Lion