Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
SITTINGBOURNE is a pleasant town in the lathe of Scray, East Kent, Milton, in
the hundred of which name it is, adjoins the town. It consists of one long
street, the houses being well built of brick and stone; is nine miles S.E. from
Rochester, seven west from Faversham, and sixteen west from Canterbury.
Sittingbourne church was rebuilt, after being destroyed by fire, in 1762. The
living is a vicarage, in. the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the Rev, H.
T. Walford, .M.A., is the incumbent.
Milton church is an ancient edifice to the north of the town. The living is a vicarage,
in the presentation of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury; the Rev. C. S. Caffin is the incumbent. Here are other places of worship, and good schools. Milton union workhouse contains 140 inmates. The Court House, in the centre of Milton, is used for the Manor Courts and as a town gaol. A corn market is held every Wednesday, at the Bull, Sitingbourne. Chilton is half a mile south; Fullson, one mile south; Highsted Fostal, one mile and a half south.
POST-OFFICE, SITTINGBOURNE - Henry Pilcher, Postmaster. Money Orders are granted and paid at this office.
POST-OFFICE, MILTON - Edward Inge, Post-master.
Abbott, William, Esq.
Brewer, Rev. William John
Divers, Mr. John R.
Dyke, John Dixon, Esq., Glover's House
Grayling, John, Esq.
Grosvenor, Mr. George
Moss, Rev. John
Panton, Mr. Thomas, Clifton House
Poore, Rev. John, D.D., rector of Murston
Ray, Edward Euttey, Esq.
Vallanee, James, Esq.
Walford, Rev. Humphrey Thomas, M.A.