SMEETH is a village and railway station, 16 miles from Dover, 19 miles from
Canterbury, five miles S.E. from Ashford, in the hundred of Birchalt Franchise,
and East Ashford union, lathe of Shepway. The church of St. Mary is small. The
living is a rectory in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury ; the Rev. W.
Knatchbull, D.D. is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was 469. Evegate, half
a mile south; Water Farm, one mile S.E.; Lodge House, one mile east; Hill House,
quarter of a mile east; Ridgeway, quarter of a mile north; Warren House, one
POST-OFFICE - Mrs. Elizabeth Vile, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is
Hughes, Edward, Esq., Hill. House
Hughes, William, Esq.
Knatohbull, Rev. Wyndham D.D., Rectory
Knatchbull, E. H., M.D.
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.