Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
STANDFORD, or STANFORD, is a village four miles N.W. from Hythe, and seven west from Folkestone, close to the Westenhanger station. The population in 1851 was 297. The church is a neat building. The Rev. William Tylden, M.A., is the patron and incumbent. The hamlets of Newin Green and Gimmingebrook, or Gibbon Brook, are a part of Standford parish, one mile west, with about sixty inhabitants. Hillhouse is one mile south; Heighten, half a mile N.W.; Blindhouse, half a mile N.W.
POST-OFFICE - Thomas Cox, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is at Hythe.
Tylden, Rev. William, M.A.
Cook, John, cattle dealer
Cox, Thomas, shoemaker
Dyason, John, Royal Oak
Hogben, R., blacksmith and shopkeeper
Janes, Mrs. Sarah, farmer
Kingsworth, John, farmer
Petts, William, carpenter
Prebble, John, farmer
Purday, Edward, farmer, Gibbins Brook
Richards, George, Drum
Steadman, George, butcher
Stoakes, John, shopkeeper