Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
SUTTON is a small village, four miles S.W. from Deal, and six and a half miles north of Dover. The population in 1851 was 169. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, which is a small structure. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. W. M. Harvey, M.A., is the incumbent. Wingleton, or Winkleton, is half a mile east. Little Button is a detached part of the parish between Bingwood and Ripple.
Letters received through Deal, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Couzins, Charles, grocer, &c.
Dines, Jonah George, blacksmith
Leggett, Stephen, harness maker
Marsh, Joseph, farmer, Winkland
Marshj Slodden, farmer
Marsh, John, farmer
Marsh, William, farmer
Parker, William, Boot Inn
Spire, Mary Ann, grocer, &c.
Taylor, John, farmer
Twyman, William, shoemaker