Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
EWELL is a parish three miles from Dover. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the heir of the late Mr. John Angel, of Stockwell, Surrey, and incumbency of the Rev. Peter Spencer, M.A. The population in 1851 was 413. Great End is half a mile N.W.; Casney Court, half a mile south; Chilton, one mile S.W.; Wolverton, one mile and a half S.W.; Singlidge, one mile and a
POST-OFFICE, - Mrs. M. Holland, Post-mistress. The nearest Money Order Office is at Dover.
Clark, Mrs. James
Heritage, Thomas, Esq.
Snolton, Osborne, Esq.
Spencer, Rev. Peter, M.A., Vicar
Boynton, John, machine maker
Berry, George, blacksmith
Birch, James, cowkeeper
Bradley, Stephen, miller
Burbridge, Mrs, Ann, beer retailer
Burvill, John, farmer
Dale, Stephen, farmer
Diggle, Mr., farmer
Friend, Mrs. Sarah, beer retailer
Friend, Thomas, beer retailer
Friend, Thomas, sen., carpenter
Gambrill George, carrier
Harbour, Henry, farmer
Holland, Mrs. Mary, grocer, baker, and post-mistress
Ladd, John, bricklayer
Luscombe, William, George and Dragon
Manger, Thomas, farmer
Marsh, John, farmer, Singlidge
Newing, Mrs. Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Potter, George, farmer
Robinson, William, farmer
Wright, Thomas, beer retailer and pork butcher