Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Tilmanstone Public Houses
TILMANSTONE is a village, five miles S.W. of Sandwich, and seven north from Dover. The population in 1851 was 447. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and is a neat structure. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the Rev. Robert Twigg, M.A., vicar. Dane Court is a quarter of a mile north; North Court half a mile north; Thornton half a mile N.W.; Barbel half a mile south; Turvil one
mile west, Stonchap one mile S.E.
Letters received through Sandwich, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Bice, Edward Royds, Esq., Dane Court
Twigg, Rev. Robert, M.A., Vicarage
Ancas, George, farmer
Ayers, Samuel, farmer
Barttar, Thomas, farmer
Barttrum, John, shoemaker
Beer, George, farmer
Belsey, William, carpenter, and parish clerk
Carlton, Mrs. Ann, pork butcher, etc.
Davison Alexander, yeoman
Drayson, Charles, beer retailer
Grey, farmer and maltster
Hogben, Mrs Mary, beer retailer
Hogben, William, grocer
Knott, John, grocer
Marsh, William, publican, and carpenter
Simson, John, bailiff to Mr. Rice
Sutton, John, corn facter etc
Tritton Henry, farmer
Tritton, Henry, jun., blacksmith