Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Tunbridge Wells & 1911 pub history
GENTRY in 1858
Traders in 1858 Melvilles Directory by surname
A to F ; G to N ; O to Y
TUNBRIDGE WELLS is a town and celebrated watering place, 46 miles from London by railway, and 36
miles by road, five miles south from Tunbridge, and 28 miles from Hastings.
Here is a chalybeate spring, which appears to have been first discovered about
1606, or at least to have come into vogue about that time, Lord North,
who was then visiting the Earl of Abergavenny, having been restored to
health by the use of it. It has since been a favourite place of resort of many
celebrated persons, amongst whom may be mentioned Johnson, Garrick, and
Cibber. Tunbridge Wells is also noted for a peculiar manufacture called
Tunbridge ware, chiefly consisting of toys, work-boxes, &c, The chapel of
ease is an ancient edifice, dedicated to king Charles the Martyr. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of trustees. Christ church is a very handsome
edifice in the Gothic style, and was erected principally for the accommodation
of the visitors. The living is a perpetual curacy. Trinity church
is a fine edifice, built of stone, in 1829, at a cost of £12,000. The living is
a perpetual curacy, in the gift of John Deacon, Esq. St. John's church is
now (1857) in course of erection. There is also a Roman Catholic church,
and several dissenting chapels.
Beeching and Company Church road.- Draw on Masterman and Company.
London and County Bank.- E. M. Hunter, Esq., Manager. Draw on London
Molineux and Company, London road.- Draw on Williams, Deacon, and Company.
Savings' Bank, Parade.- Open every Monday from 2 to 4.
Post-Office, Parade.- W. Nash, Postmaster. Day Mail Box closes 10.30. A.M.; Night
Mail, 10 P.M.
Town Hall, Calverley road.
Town Clerk's Office, under Town Hall.- John Elliot, Town Clerk, Calverley road.
South Eastern Railway Station, High street.
Gas Works, North street.- William Kinchin, Manager; John Reed, Secretary.
Literary Institution and Reading Rooms, Parade.- Dr. Wilmot, Treasurer
PLACES OF WORSHIP AND SCHOOLS.
Chapel of Ease. - Rev. William L. Pope, Minister.
Trinity Church, Mount Pleasant hill- Rev. Edward Hoare, Incumbent; Rev. Owen Marden, Curate; Rev. Charles A., Furlong, Curate.
Christ Church, High street.- Rev. T. W. Eranklyn, Incumbent.
St. John's Church, in course of erection, London road.
Roman Catholic Chapel, Grosvenor road - Rev. William Rowe, Priest; Rev. Joseph Lazenby, Priest.
Countess of Huntingdon's Chapel, London road.- Rev. George Jones, Minister.
Rehoboth Baptist Chapel.- Mr. T. Edwards, Minister.
Mount Zion Chapel, at present closed.
Wesleyan Chapel, London road- Rev. J. Earnshaw, Minister.
British School, Mount Sion.- Frederick Russell, Master; Miss Jane Tidcombe, Mistress; Miss Christiana Russell, Infants.