Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
EAST and WEST LANGDON. These two villages are about a mile from each other. West Langdon had a population in 1851 of 140 inhabitants. East Langdon is three miles and a half north of Dover. The village is small. The church is dedicated to St. Augustine. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Earl of Guilford, and incumbency of the Rev. William Dugdale Astley, M.A., The population of East Langdon was 352. West Langdon is four miles north of Dover. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. Edward G. Boys, M.A., is the incumbent. Marten is half a mile north; Appleton, one mile north; Solton, one mile south; Maiden Soule, ,one mile and a half N.W. Letters through Dover, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Coleman, Mr. Richard, Langdon Abbey.
Austen, Thomas, farmer
Bailey, Thomas, farmer
Chandler, William, shoemaker
Garside, William, farmer