Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
WHITSTABLE, is a seaport, market town, and railway station, and is the harbour
of Canterbury. to which it is united by railway, communicating with Ashford and
London; six miles north of Canterbury, 87 from London, five west of Herne Bay,
and seven N.E. of Faversham, in Blean union, lathe of St Augustine, Whitstable
hundred, East Kent, lying on Whitstable bay and being a steam, packet station.
The population in 1851, was 2,746.
The population of the town, which is partly in Whitstable, and partly in Seasalter was 3,086. The church of All Saints is very ancient. The Rev. John Morriss, M.A., perpetual curate, and also vicar of Seasalter. The Wesleyans and Independents have their respective chapels here.
SEASALTER, called in Domesday Book a small borough. The population in 1851 was 1240.
SWALECLIFFE is a small village near the Cliffs, seven miles north of Canterbury, two miles east of Whitstable, and three miles west of Herne Bay. Its population in 1851 was 176. The church of St. John the Baptist is small. In the neighbourhood are Balls Street, Chestfield, Rucking, Bodkin, Coleward, Studhill, Thornden, Highgate, and Radfall.
Post Office - Robert Tritton Whorlow, Postmaster, Money Orders are granted and paid at this Office.
Clark, Rev. John, High street
Down, Joshua, High street
Ellis, Wynn, Esq., Tower House
Head, Captain, Tankerton House
Holden, Mr. George, High street
Hyder, W., Esq., Court Lees
Killick, John, Rev., Wesleyan Minister, High street
Morris, Rev. Robert John, Vicarage, Borstol Hill
Public Houses in Whitstable
Traders in Whitstable in 1858 Melvilles Directory by surname