I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Grundy Arms, 83 Grundy Street, Poplar

Poplar index

At 20 Grundy Street in 1856;

The Festival Inn effectively replaced the Grundy Arms, which  was demolished shortly after WWII. **

The Grundy Arms

The Grundy Arms

Kindly provided by Jane Kelly

With permission of the London Metropolitan Archives who provided the original

A listing of historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Poplar, London  - in East London. The Poplar, East London listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

1836/John Wormald / Victualler /../../Sun Fire Office records, Guildhall Library **

1838/John Wormald / Victualler /../../Sun Fire Office records, Guildhall Library **

John Wormald is at the London Stone, Cannon Street by 1841.

1842/William Vince / Public House Keeper /../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **

1846/William Vince/../../../Post Office Directory **

1848/William Heard/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1851/William Heard/../../../Kellys Directory ****

1852/Mr Heard / Occupier /../../London Gazette, 25 May 1852 **

1856/William Heard/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1862/William Heard/../../../Post Office Directory **

November 1865/George Batts/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era ****

November 1865/Robert Minter/Incoming Licensee/../../Era ****

1869/Robert Minter/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1874/R Minter/../../../H.D. Miles London & Suburban Licensed Victuallers' Directory **

January 1875/Robert Minter/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer ****

January 1875/William Harwood/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer ****

1881/John Gerlach/Licensed Victualler/37/Germany/Census ****
1881/Emma A Gerlach/Wife/37/Shoreditch, Middlesex/Census
1881/Emma Gerlach/Daughter/16/Kennington, Surrey/Census
1881/Frederick G Gerlach/Son/7/St Georges, Middlesex/Census
1881/Alice L Gerlach/Daughter/6/Hammersmith, Middlesex/Census
1881/Elizabeth Gerlach/Daughter/3/Hammersmith, Middlesex/Census
1881/Caroline J Gerlach/Daughter/2/Poplar, Middlesex/Census
1881/Caroline Seger/Niece/13/Whitechapel, Middlesex/Census
1881/Jane M Johnson/Domestic Servant/45/Pimlico, Middlesex/Census
1881/Arthur Childs/Barman/22/Whitechapel, Middlesex/Census
1881/George White/Potman/22/Blackwall, Middlesex/Census

1882/John Gurlach/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1884/Thomas Platt/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1891/Hy Anderson/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1895/Hy Anderson/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1899/Louis Straus/../../../Post Office Directory **

1901/Louis Straus/../../../Post Office Directory **

1901/Louis Straus/Licensed Victualler/49/St Georges, London/Census ****
1901/Sarah Straus/Wife/47/City, London/Census
1901/Tilly Straus/Daughter, Mantle Maker/25/Shoreditch, London/Census
1901/Lily Straus/Daughter, Barmaid/19/Mile End, London/Census
1901/Henry Straus/Son, Stoker Stationery Engine/17/Mile End, London/Census
1901/Maud Croft/Domestic Servant/19/Poplar, London/Census

1915/Mrs Alice K Beaumont/../../../Post Office Directory ****

1931/David T Baddeley/../../../Post Office Directory **

1933 - 51/John William Briggs/Beer Retailer/../../Black Eagle Journal ****

John William Briggs, licensee of Festival Inn, died on July 18th, 1953; since the opening of the Festival Inn in 1951. Before this, he held the Grundy Arms for 18 years. - Black Eagle Journal ***


** Provided By Stephen Harris

*** Provided by Alex Wilkinson

**** Provided By Kevan


And Last updated on: Saturday, 23-Jul-2016 21:48:09 BST