I am the number 1 site for UK Pub history & a historical street directory of London

Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name

Romford 1882 Kelly's Directory

 History of Romford

part 2 of the 1882 Romford Kelly Directory

Romford is an ancient market town and railway station, head of the union and of a county court district, and a polling place for the Southern division of the county, in the rural deanery of Chafford, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St Albans, seated on the little river Rom, whence it derives its name, on the high road from London to Colchester, 17 south west from Chelmsford, 8 north east from barking, and 6 south west from Brentwood: the town originally consisted chiefly of two streets, crossing each other at right angles; the principal street, and that in which the cattle market is held, is a wide thoroughfare, of considerable length, running from west to east and in recent years several new streets have been added on the southern side of the town. The Great Eastern railway passes on a lofty embankment at the bottom of South street: and has separate stations for goods and passengers. The town is governed by a Local Board of Health and the parish is divided into four wardsviz,: Romford Town, Collier Row, Harold’s Wood and Noak Hill. Romford is the capital of the liberty, comprising the three parishes of Hornchurch, Romford and Havering: has an ancient, peculiar, and separate jurisdiction, granted by various charters from the time of Edward the Confessor, whose original grant has since received many additions and confirmations: it is independent of the county, appoints its own magistrates, has a clerk of the peace, coroner, quarter and petty sessions, courts of record and ancient demesne, and a county court and is governed by a high steward and three justices: all business relative to the liberty is transacted in the town of Romford. The Liberty quarter sessions are held on the Thursay succeeding the county quarter sessions, and petty sessions every Thursday for the purposes of the Criminal Justices Act. The church of St Edward the Confessor, erected in 1850 on the site of the old parish church, is a handsome building of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings in the Later Decorated style and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, with chapels and an embattled tower with spire 162 feet in height, tower on the south, containing a clock and 8 bells dated respectively 1850, 1756, 1704, 1651 and three others 1636, one being undated: the fine east window was given by Col Graves in memory of his wife: there is also a stained window in the south aisle to the memory of Edward Ind esq: in the north aisle of the church is a stately monument, with alabaster effigies, of himself and his lady in kneeling attitudes to Sir Anthony Cooke (preceptor to King Edward VI); he died June 11, 1576: the Latin inscription on his monument enumerating the various members of his family is supposed to have been furnished by his daughters, who were among the learned females of that age: against the south wall of the chancel formerly stood the fine monument, now in the porch, of Sir George Harvey of Marks; he had previously been sheriff of Essex, 38 Eliz and was at the time of his death, 10th August 1605, lieutenant of the Tower of London, where he died: but was buried here on the south side of the chancel with heraldic honours: there is a long inscription in gilt letters on a slab of black marble, to himself, his wife and various members of his family: also in the porch, but previously on the south wall of the porch, immediately wet of the Harvey monument, is the stately tomb, with her recumbent effigy of Anne Carew, raised by her famous son, George, Lord Carew and eventually Earl of Tones; she was the daughter of Sire Nicholas Hervey, Knt, and sister of Sir George Hervey and married George, third son of Sire Edmond Carew; he died 15th of June, 1583 and his wife, 27th August, 1605, at 76: the church will seat 1,102 persons. The register dates from the year 1561 and is in very good condition. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £700, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held by the Rev William Maunder, MA, of Wadham College, Oxford and hon canon of Durham Cathedral and surrogate. St Andrew is an ecclesiastical parish fromed in 1863 from the mother parish; the church, erected in 1863 is a plain building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and porch, with a belfry, rising from the west end, surmounted by a spire and containing 1 bell: there is also one stained window in the chancel. The register dates from the year 1863. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held by the Rev William James Skilton, MA, of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge and surrogate. The Congregational church in South Street opened on July 19th, 1877, is a Gothic structure of Kentish rag stone, with tower and spire, 60 feet in height and was built at a cost; including site, of about £5,000: there are 470 sittings. The old Congregational church is closed. The Baptist chapel was erected in 1847; a Wesleyan chapel in 1827; a Catholic chapel dedicated to St Edward the Confessor in 1853 and a Primitive Methodist chapel in 1875: each of these chapels has a Sunday school attached to it. The old cemetery is near the market place. A new cemetery, situate on the Dagenham Road, about one mile from the town, was opened in October, 1871: it contains 5 ½ acres of enclosed and 3 ¼ of unenclosed ground, two mortuary chapels and a porter’s lodge. Charities: Roger Reed of Haverin, by will dates 14th February, 1482, left his “new built place in Jay’s Mead, otherwise called Hoo Croft”, for five poor men: there are now six almshouses for men and two for widows: one almsman who keeps the accounts and preserves order, called “the ruler”, receives £35 per annum, the other men £26, the widows £20: all being supplied with clothes, coals and medical aid: clothes are distributed from the surplus to the poor of Romford, Hornchurch and Dagenham. Robert Ballard in 1660 devised two houses in Romford to the churchwardens for the repair of the highways: these were let on lease in 1824 to Mr W Hunter for about 21 years, at a rent of £20 per annum, the lesser covenanting to rebuild and keep them in repair. William Armstead, of Hornchurch, gave to the poor of Romford £2, arising from a farm at Hay Green, and distributed in bread and money and Andrew Reynolds, by will dated October 7th, 1626, £3 also as a rent charge. Lewis Botts, by will dated 18th January, 1669, left 20s to repair a causeway leading to the church, £4 for apprenticing and £20 to the poor on New Years Day. Hannah Richardson left in 1811, £3 13s 6d from navy annuities for the poor of Romford, who also have half the rent of Webster’s Tile Kiln, in Harold Wood ward. Lady Burleigh’s charity, originally £120, is now only £100. Here are a branch of the London and County Bank and a Mechanics’ Institute: also gas works. Here are also the extensive brewing establishment of Messrs Ind, Cooper and Co. The market for cattle and corn, one of the largest around Lonson, is held every Wednesday. A fair is held on June 24th. Here are the headquarters of the A and B sompanies of the 1st Essex Rifle Volunteers, the A company commanded by Captain Grimston Abel Smith and the B compant by Capt Hy W Smith. There are almshouses, founded by Roger Reeds in 1784, for ten persons and several other charities. Francis Quarles, the celebrated  author of the “Book of Emblems”, was born in 1592 in  the old manor house, called Stewards, which manor became the property of that family in 1588; he was educated at Cambridge and became cup bearer to the Queen of Bohemia and afterwards secretary to Archbishop Usher, whom he accompanied to Ireland: this resolute adherence to the royal cause during the civil war occasioned him much loss, both of the property, books and MSS, and is thought to have hastened his death, which took place in 1644. Gidea Hall, half a mile east of Romford, is the residence of J Ramsey esq and Charles William Johnson esq: Marshalls, on the north of the town, is the property of Mrs MacIntosh and is at present occupied by Ralph G Price esq JP. Priests, the seat of Thomas mashiter esq, is on the havering Road, 1 mile north. Market gardening, grazing, and agriculture form the chief occupations of the people. The parish contains about 9,713 acres; rateable value £44,115; the population of the parish in 1871 was 8,239 and in 1881, 9,173; and of the Local Board District in 1881, 6,861.

Collier Row, 2 miles north west; Hare Street, 1 mile north east; Noak Hill, 4 miles north east, and Prospect Place, 1 mile north, and Prospect Place, 1 mile north, are hamlets in the parish of Romford. At Noak Hill hamlet, 4 miles north east, is a chapel of ease to Romford, served by one clergy from the parish church; there is also a National school.

Parish clerk, Chas Bamford, Stanley Lodge, Eastern Road

 

Official Establishments, Local Institutions etc

 

Post & Money Order & Telegraph Office, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office, South Street – Henry Betts, postmaster. Arrivals: - from London, 3.30 & 8 am & 2 & 6.15 pm; Grays, 7 pm; Horndon on the Hill, 6.50 pm & Abridge 7.50 pm. Dispatches :- To London, 3.20, 9 & 11.30 am & 3.20, 4.30 & 8.30 pm

Letter box closes at 10 pm. Town Pillar Boxes cleared at 8.25 & 11.15 am & 4.5 & 8.20 pm. Letters delivered in Romford at 7.30 & 9.30 am & 2.30 & 6 pm.

 

Local Board.

Office, Market street

Board day first Monday in every month

Clerk, Alfred Henry Hunt, South Street

Medical Officer, Alfred Wright, South Street

Inspector of Nuisances & surveyor, Jph Turvey, Market Place

Collector, Albert Harvey, High Street

 

part 2 of the 1882 Romford Kelly Directory

 


And Last updated on: Saturday, 01-Apr-2017 16:39:20 BST