Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name
Wincanton pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset. The Somerset listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Now owned and occupied by Mr. George Lock. - Inns of the
Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
In 1671, Mr. William Swanton lived there. Hence the orchard at the back was until recent years known as " Swanton 's Orchard." "Spring Close" was also called " Swanton's." - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
In 1678, it was kept by "Swanton's heirs," Mr. Swanton having died in 1671. At another time "George de Forweille" lived there. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
In 1792, Thomas Yeo kept the house, as an advertisement in the " Salisbury and Winchester Journal " for October 15th of that year shows. The advertisement runs, viz. —
" Andrew Ivey, Wincanton, deceased. To be peremptorily sold by auction by J. Hoddinott, auctioneer, at the White Horse Inn. The fee simple and inheritance of the following lands situate in Wincanton, late the lands of Mr. Andrew Ivey, deceased. The George Inn, situate near the market place, now rented by Thomas Yeo, &c." A different advertisement appeared a week later with the following description : — " The George Inn being a stone built roomy house, with outhouses, large stable, garden, &c. Situate near
to and very convenient for the market, now rented by Thomas Yeo as tenant at will.** From that time it has been used for the business of butcher. For many years, embracing three generations, the Oborn family lived there, but from 1877 it has been occupied by Mr. Lock. The house was greatly enlarged about the year 1848. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
**** Provided By Kevan