Search the pub history site by surname, address or pub name
Wincanton pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset. The Somerset listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
In Market Place some time before 1662. See "The Crown."
- Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
High Street, where Mr. Maddocks lives. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
1830. — Opened by William Loxton, baker, and continued till some time in the forties, when he left for Sherborne. It was a celebrated place for the baking of Sunday dinners.
Continued till about 1861 by one Pedwell, publican and baker. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
**** Provided By Kevan