HINTLESHAM, a large and well-built village, 4 ½ miles E. by N. of Hadleigh,
and 5 ½ miles W. of Ipswich, is pleasantly situated on the road between
those towns, and has in its parish 584 inhabitants, and 2828A. 3B. 24F. of
land, mostly the property of James Hamilton Lloyd Anstruther, Esq., the lord
of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion, in the
form of the letter H, standing in a beautiful Park of 150 acres, and
containing many spacious apartments, and a fine collection of paintings by
Vandyke, Gainsborough, and other distinguished masters. The manor was
anciently held by the Talbots, and for many years by the Timperleys, who
sold it, about 1725, to Richard Powis, of whom it was purchased by Sir
Richard Lloyd, Knight, one of the Barons of the Exchequer. It was bequeathed
to its present owner by the late Miss Harriet Lloyd, in 1837. The Cooke and
some other families have small estates in the parish. The Church (St.
Nicholas) is a handsome structure, with a tower and five bells. The nave and
aisles are leaded, hut the chancel is covered with tiles. In the latter are
several monuments of the Timperley family, one of which is a tomb of blue
marble, bearing the portraits in brass of John Timperley, Esq., and Margaret
his wife. The former died in 1400. Here is also a neat monument to the late
Misses Lloyd. In 1849-'50, the church was restored, and newly fitted with
open benches. The western gallery was removed, and a handsome stained glass
east window was presented by the Hon. Mrs. Anstruther. Four of the chancel
windows were also enriched with stained glass at the expense of the rector.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £83. 9s. 6d., and now at £477, is in the
patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Henry Deane, who has 44A. of glebe,
and a yearly rent charge of .£450, awarded in lieu of tithes in 1838. The
Free School and playground of 2R. 1 2P. were built and given by the late
Misses Lloyd, in exchange for the old playground. The school estate, which
was purchased by the parishioners many years ago, with the assistance of
Francis Golman, is copyhold, and consists of a cottage, small barn, and
about 6A. of land at Aldham, now let for £10 per annum, for which the master
teaches seven free scholars reading, writing, and arithmetic. He has also
£6s. 0s. a year for teaching four or five poor children of Chattisham, as
noticed with that parish. Miss Harriet Lloyd, who died in 1887, left £10 a
year for the education of five poor children, and £10 a year to provide
coals for poor parishioners. Here is a small Independent Chapel, which is
used as a school for young children. POST via Ipswich.
Anstruther James Hamilton Lloyd,
Esq. Hintlesham Hall
Abbott John, carpenter
Beamont Mary, pott mittrets
Beer David, shopkeeper & wood dealer
Betts Henry, shopkeeper
Deane Rev Wm. Henry, Rectory
Deeks John, corn miller
Doughton Robt "vermin destroyer," & East India oil manfr
Godbold Mary Ann, schoolmistress
Kingsbury John, bricklayer
Kingsbury John, jun. shoemaker
Lott Wm. Shulver, vict. George
Meadows Amos, shoemaker
Meadows Thomas, wheelwright
Norfolk Jas. butcher; & Wm.Smith
Raw John, gent. The Grove
Simpson Joseph, brick maker
Ward Frederick, same keeper
Woods John and Miss, Free School
Beard Rt. & Wm.
Norman Wm. & Jno
Turner Rt. Priory
The pub history sites are regularly updated by Stephen and Kevan, plus an 'open' group of like-minded individuals on a daily basis;
and anyone is welcome to contribute.
To contact the pubs history site, please email deadpubs
The Google local search of the pub history site. Try it out!
All transcriptions and imagery is copyright, and excepting personal usage (which is fine); it is NOT available for commercial usage or copying onto other websites without explicit permission.
Many of the images, and all of the transcriptions are the work of myself and other contributors - please do not steal this work.
Home | Copyright 2008