• Home
  • London Pub History
  • London Pubology
  • Licensed Victuallers Association
  • UK Pub history and historical street directory of London and the UK

    This Christmas, 120 thousand children in the UK will be homeless - You could help change this

    Search the pub history sites by licensee, address or pub

    History of Suffolk - Lakenheath 1865

    Post Office Directory of 1865.

    For a considerable more detail and Suffolk Pubs, visit my other historical Pub sites, including Suffolk Villages & Towns

    LAKENHEATH is a parish and large village, formerly a market town, in Mildenhall union and county court district, Lockford hundred, Fordham rural deanery, Sudbury archdeaconry, diocese of Ely, West Suffolk, 2 miles south from Lakenheath station, 86 ½ from London, 5 west from Bandon, 6 north-east from Mildenhall, and within 2 miles of the Little Ouse river navigation, situated on a slight acclivity, surrounded by warrens of great extent, and commanding a most extensive view of the country around.
    The church (St. Mary) is an ancient edifice, to which a new roof has been added, and the interior repaired; also a new doorway, constructed at the western entrance: it has a tower and 5 bells, and a lofty leaden spire, nave, chancel, with north and south aisles. The present register dates from 1706, the books containing the earlier ones having been burnt. The living is a vicarage, annual value £130, in the gilt of the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and held by the Rev. William Smart Prout, B.A. There is a Wesleyan chapel, also one for Baptists and one for Independents. There are also two Free schools, one endowed by George Goward, Esq., for 30 boys, and the other for 11 boys, endowed by Mr. Evans and Mr. Kitchiner; there is a competent master for each, the former receiving £40 per annum, and the latter £16 per annum. Here are clay and sand pits and limekilns. The soil is light and sandy, with a large portion of fen on the west, and has nearly 3,000 acres of open rabbit warren, 2,400 in the occupation of Mr. Phipps, and 250 acres occupied by Mr. Flack. The greater part of the land belongs to William Graham Eagle, Esq. There used to be a market held for the sale of corn, the farmers meeting weekly at the Bell inn, but it is now discontinued. There is a fair for cattle and toys, held on the first Thursday after Midsummer Day. The population in 1801 was 1,797; the area is 10,550 acres.
    UNDLEY is a small hamlet, a mile west. Undley Hall is here situated.
    Parish Clerk, Joseph Morley.
    POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK. — William Household, postmaster.
    Letters received from Mildenhall at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m
    INSURANCE AGENTS:—
    Liverpool & London & Globe, Samuel Williams
    Norwich Fire & Life, William Household
    SCHOOLS:—
    Goward's Free, John Edmund Fletcher, master
    Evans & Kitchiner's Free, John Rolph, master
    CARRIERS TO BURY.—Samuel Williams & William Bowers, every Wednesday & Saturday

    Chamberlain Mr. John
    Edwards Frederick, esq
    Howard James, esq
    Prout Rev.Williain Smart, B.A. [vicarJ
    Wright Rev. George [Baptist]

    COMMERCIAL

    Adcock Christopher. brewer & beer retailer
    Allsop Henry, farmer
    Allsop John, Plough
    Allsop William, farmer
    Barber John, farmer
    Barker George, saddler & harness maker
    Bowers Charles, butcher
    Brown Francis, farmer
    Brown John, baker & confectioner
    Brunneys Sarah & Eliza (Misses), dress makers
    Capp Elizabeth (Mrs.), school
    Cash George, boot & shoe maker
    Cash Robert.boot & shoe maker & farmer
    Cash Robt. (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker
    Cash Roper, farmer
    Clark William, farmer
    Coleby John, farmer, Sedge farm
    Coleman Charles, farmer
    Coleman James, farmer
    Coleman James, Chequers, & farmer
    Congreve Thomas, farmer
    Cossey William, farmer
    Cracknell William, farmer
    Crow William, farmer
    Edwards Frederick, farmer
    Fiucliain Edward, shopkeeper
    Fincham Joseph, wheelwright
    Fincham Peter, Sedge Sheaf, & farmer, Sedge fen
    Fincham William, Bell commercial inn, & farmer
    Flack John, former, Sedge farm
    Flack Simon, farmer
    Flack Walter, farmer
    Flack William, farmer
    Foster Maria & Son, boot & shoe makers
    Foster Thomas, boot & shoe maker
    Fuller Robert, wheelwright
    Gathercole John, baker
    Gathercole Richard, farmer, Sandpits
    Gathercole William, farmer
    Gayton Richard, farmer
    Greenacre Richard, farmer
    Halls Josiah, miller
    Hammond William, hair dresser
    Harding George, farmer
    Harding Robert, beer retailer
    Harwin Francis, butcher
    Hazel George, farmer, Decoy farm
    Horrex Francis, boot & shoe maker
    Houchen James, tailor
    Household William, grocer, draper, ironmonger, farmer & postmaster

    Howard James, farmer & landowner
    Kemmence Harry, Bull
    Kersey Ambrose Charles, tailor
    King Charles, farmer. Decoy farm
    King Cyril, Green Dragon, & farmer
    Marrett Chas. Edward, draper & grocer
    Miller Matthew, farmer
    Miller Thomas, boot & shoe maker
    Miller William Elven, farmer
    Morley Philip k Son, grocers, drapers & tailors
    Neave John, saddler & harness maker
    Negus Selina(Mrs.), shopkeeper
    Norton Robert, Anchor
    Palmer Henry, farmer
    Palmer John, farmer, Mill road
    Palmer Robert, farmer, Fen
    Parsons George, bricklayer
    Pawsey George Dunthorn, veterinary surgeon
    Payne William, blacksmith & farmer
    Peachey Edmund, farmer
    Pcachey Roper, farmer
    Pells Fanny (Mrs.), stationer
    Pells John, falconer
    Pensou Thomas, cattle dealer
    Phipps Ebenezer, farmer & warrener, Warren lodge
    Presland John, wheelwright
    Rolph Charles, bricklayer
    Rolph Evans, High Bridge House, & farmer
    Rolph James, farmer
    Rolph James, Half Moon
    Rolph James, wheelwright
    Rolph John, farmer
    Rolph John, sen. farmer
    Rolph Peter, farmer
    Rolph William, farmer
    Rutterford Adam, coal merchant & farmer
    Sawyer Henry, plumber, painter & glazier
    Scott Joseph, corn & seed merchant
    Sizer James, wheelwright
    Sizer Joseph, blacksmith
    Smith James, shopkeeper
    Smith John, grocer & draper
    Smith Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
    Sturton Elizabeth (Miss), day school
    Trudgett James, miller
    Tuffs Peter, jun. farmer
    Tufts Peter, sen. farmer
    Waddelow Thomas, farmer, Undley
    Wainwright Alfred, farmer, Undley hall
    Williams Samuel, grocer & farmer
    Wretham William, blacksmith


    And Last updated on: Tuesday, 09-Jun-2015 00:04:35 BST