History of Barking in 1874, Post Office Directory - part 2
The market has dwindled down to the exhibition of a few street stall on Saturday nights, but the fair for the town is maintained in much of its original state on the 22nd October.
town formerly derived its chief support from the fishing trade, which has now
entirely left the place, the facilities afforded by railways for bringing the
fish to market having caused smack owners to resort to such places as
A considerable portion of Hainault Forest is in this parish, within the limits of which formerly stood the renowned Fairlop Oak, the stem of which, at three feet from the ground, measured 36 feet in girth, and the boughs extended over 300 feet in circumference of 300 feet; under its shade for many years, a fair was held on the first Friday in July; but the tree is ; the ground on which it reared its mighty head is in the hands of the husbandmen, and Fairlop Fair lives only in the records of the past.
The North London Main Drainage Sewer passes through an outlying portion of this parish, in the marsh lands on the banks of the river Roding, and the reservoir, or main outfall, is constructed on lands in barking parish.
Eastbury House, about one mile from Barking, is an old brick building connected by tradition with the Gunpowder Plot; , it is a most interesting piece of antiquity, but is now used as a farm house, and appears to be rapidly falling to decay; the estate on which it stands belongs to the Sterry family.
The manor of Barking, which is paramount all over the hundred, remained in the Crown till James I sold it to Sir Thomas Fanshawe; since then it has been in the families of Humphrey and Gore; it was purchased of the latter by Smart Lethieullier esq, and is now the property of Sir Edward Hulse, bart, in right of his wife Mary, the heiress of that family.
The principal landowners are the Marquis of Salisbury and Sir Edward Hulse, bart.
The parish contains 12,306 acres of land and 314 of water. Gross estimated rental, £73,550; rateable value, £55,672. The population of the entire parish in 1871 was 12,523. The population of Barking ward and town in 1871 was 6,061.
Rippleside consists of a number of scattered farms, extending from 1 to 3 miles
east of Barking, near the bank of the
Official Establishments, Local Institutions etc
Post & Money Order Office, Post Office Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance & telegraph Office, Pavement – William Henry Stephens, postmaster. Letters dispatched at 9.45 am, 12.5, 5 & 9 pm & on Sundays at 7.45 pm, delivered at 7 & 8.30 am & 2 & 6.15 pm. Money order office open from 9 am to 6 pm. Post Office Savings Bank open daily, same hours as money order office. Wall End is the postal district of East Ham.
Insurance Agents :-
General, W H Stephens, Axe Street
Great Britain Mutual Life, E Deveson, Hope cottage
Liverpool & London & Globe, J Linsdell, Fisher Street; J Willett, North Street
Norwich Union Fire, S Mayes, Barking Road, J A Milne, North Street
Phoenix Fire, W Brewers, New Road
Queen, J Holmes
Reliance Mutual Life, W Bewers, New Road
Royal, D Hockley, Heath Street
Royal Exchange, F H Parsons, East Street
Sun, F E Fitt, Broadway
Union, F Hearne, North Street; D Soul, 16 Church Road
Police Station, North Street, Thos lamb & Jno Walkling, sergeants
Public Lighting & Watching Committee, Thos Forge, clerk
Stamp Office, Broadway, William Henry Stephens, distributor
Inspector of Nuisances, Richard Daniel Wilding, Linton Road
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Richard Daniel Wilding, Linton Road
Places of Worship:-
St Margaret’s Church, Rev Alfred Blomfield MA, vicar; Rev F P H Powell MA & Rev J R Corbett, curates
Roman Catholic Church, Linton Road, Rev James Gilligan, priest
Friends Meeting House, North Street
Plymouth Brethren Chapel, Axe Street
Independent Chapel, Broadway
Primitive Methodist Chapel, ministers various
Wesleyan Chapel, East Street, ministers various
Baptist Chapel, Queens Road, ministers various
National, Creeks mouth, Miss Smith, mistress
National (boys, girls & infants), Abbey grounds, Joshua King, master; T Foyle; Miss Elizabeth Ann Fisher, mistress; Miss Louisa Walter, infants mistress
National (infants), North Street, for 262 children; average attendance, 217; Miss Louisa E Walter, mistress
National, Rippleside, Miss Alice Hambleton, mistress
Plymouth Brethren, Axe Street, Mrs Katharine Robinson, mistress
Roman Catholic (mixed), Linton Road, Miss Elizabeth Weyman, mistress
Wesleyan (mixed), East Street, John Dolman, master
Railway Station, East Street, Wm Chalk, station master
Carriers to London:-
Charles Leftley & John Jaggers, from their own houses, every morning, returning the same evening