History of Barking in 1886, Kellys Directory, part 1 - part 2
is a town and station on the London, Tilbury and Southend railway, 7 miles from
Whitechapel church, 2 south from Ilford and 6 south west from Romford, on the
river Roding, which is navigable for barges from the Thames to Great Ilford; it
is a parish in the Southern division of the county, Becontree Hundred and petty
sessional division, Romford union and county court district, rural deanery of
Barking, archdeaconry of Essex, diocese of St Albans and is under the
jurisdiction of the Metropolitan police; it is separated from East and West Ham
and Little Ilford by the river Roding, from Dagenham by the Rom, having the
Thames on the south and is divided into four wards; Barking in the south west;
Ilford or Great Ilford in the north west; Chadwell in the north east; and Ripple
in the south east. At the mouth of the Roding creek on the
is called in the Domesday Survey “Burchungas”. Of the place little or nothing is
known until the foundation of the Benedictine abbey, about the year 670, by St
Erkenwald, bishop of London, in the reigns of Sebbi and Sighere, kings of the
East Saxons: the founder being grandson of Uffa, the first Saxon king of the
East Angles and the first bishop who sat in the see of London after the erection
of St Paul’s by King Ethelbert; this abbey was dedicated to the Virgin, and is
said to have been the first religious house established for women in the
kingdom. The original charter of endowment by Hodelied, father of King Sebbi, is
among the Cottonian MSS, in the
church of St Margaret, a structure chiefly of Perpendicular date, with some
Norman and Early English features, consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, two
north aisles running parallel to each other for the whole length of the building
and a lofty embattled western tower containing 8 fine toned bells; it was
originally appropriated to the monastery and previously to 1328 there had been
two vicarages in the church of Barking, distinguished as St Margarets on the
North and St Margarets on the South, but about this period they were united,
although it was not until 1398 that they were legally consolidated: in the year
1452 several disputes had arisen between Catherine de la Pole, the abbess,
daughter of Sir Michael de la Pole, and Sir John Greening, the vicar, which
being referred to arbitration, the vicar was awarded “provisions every day in
the convent for himself and servant so long as he should not be of a litigious
disposition, but if he should, without license of the abbess, hold any discourse
with the nuns, for the first offence he should lose his diet for a week and for
the second offence he should lose it for a month and if he offended a third time
he should be excluded the convent”: the church was not then endowed with any of
the great tithes: in the year 1536 an agreement was entered into between the
then abbess and vicar for the payment by the former of £10 yearly in lieu of
diet, and this sum the vicar still receives: among the fine monuments in the
church is one to Sir Charles Montague, of Cranbrook, representing his death on
the field of battle; and there is a mural tablet to Sir Orlando Humfreys: in the
chancel are brasses to Thomas Broke and Alice, his wife, 1493, with a son and
daughter; to John Tedcastell, gent and Elizabeth, his wife, 1596, with nine sons
and seven daughters and one of a priest, in academic dress, with chalice, the
inscription gone, c 1480: in the nave and south aisle are brasses to Elizabeth
Hobart, widow, 1590; Christopher Merell, citizen and goldsmith of London, 1598.
et 60 and his sister Anne Yardley, a widow, 1579 and an inscription, c 1530: the
chancel retains several aumbries: there are sittings for 930 persons. The
registers date from the year 1558. The rectory, which in 1541 had been leased to
Mary Blackenhall, consisted of all such tithes as had not been previously
leased; it subsequently fell into the hands of the
Crown, by whom it was sold in 1550 (together with the advowson of the
vicarage) to Robert Thomas and Andrew Salter; the greater portion of it
afterwards passed to the trustees of the will of William Pownsett, of Loxford,
steward to the last abbess), who being desirous of bestowing his substance on
charitable objects, gave the rectory and advowson to the warden and Fellows of
All Souls College, Oxford. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charge £716,
with 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of
What I am now attempting to achieve is the coverage of an earlier London
street directory in 1832. This is unique, plus
images of the 1842 Robsons directory which confirm earlier entries and also
carry much more trade detail about a premises or person. Here is the index of streets in 1832, many with
1842 imagery added.
And next is the complete 1940 London street directory - this will take some months to complete, so bear with me!
London pub history directory.
London Street Listings in 1832.
London street listings in 1842
London Street Listings in 1818 - mainly A and B.
London public houses in 1833 Pigots.
Entire London Street Listing in 1843 - by surname.
London public houses in 1856.
London public houses in 1869.
London public houses in 1899
London 1921 Street directory in 1921
London 1940 Street directory 1940
London Pubs in 2018