Search the London street directory and pub history site by surname, address or pub name
History of Barking in 1886, Kellys Directory part 2 , part 1
mission chapel, in connection with the Church of England, was erected in
Here is a Catholic church, dedicated to SS Mary and Ethelburga, also Congregational, Wesleyan and Baptist places of worship and a meeting place for Brethren; a savings bank and Metropolitan police station.
In the High Street stands the old market house, now used as a Town Hall; it has an overhanging upper storey, and a portion of the wooden arcade is still remaining.
There is a provident dispensary in Broadway, supported by subscriptions.
The market has dwindled down to the exhibition of a few street stalls on Saturday nights. A fair is held on October 23rd. Some smacks are built here and there are sail lofts and rope yards. A large jute manufactory has been established here.
A considerable portion of Hainault Forest is in this parish, within the limits of which formerly stood the renowned Fairlop Oak, the stem of which, at three feet from the ground, measured 36 feet in girth, with boughs extending over a circumference of 300 feet; under its shade for many years, a fair established by Mr Daniel day, a block and pump maker of Wapping, was held on the first Friday in July; but the tree is gone and Fairlop Fair now lives only in the records of the past.
At Uphall, a farm situated north of the town, are the remains of a fortification of Roman origin, nearly 40 acres in extent.
The North London main Drainage Sewer passes through the marsh lands on the banks of the river Roding and the reservoir, or main outfall, is constructed on lands in Barking parish, on the west side of the mouth of Barking creek, and covers an area of nearly 10 acres; the reservoir is constructed of brick, with stone flooring, and rests on foundations of concrete 20 feet deep; it is divided into four compartments, and will hold 39,000,000 gallons of sewage, some of which is applied to agricultural purposes at Lodge farm, near Barking, and the rest discharged into the Thames at high water.
Eastbury House, about one mile from Barking, is an ancient and very spacious gabled mansion of brick in the Domestic Tudor style; the buildings surround three sides of a quadrangle, and include an octagonal tower rising above the roofs, and a tall stack of curiously decorated chimneys; the mullioned windows are retained, but the interior has been modernised; this house is connected by tradition with the Gunpowder Plot, same accounts designating it as a meeting place of the conspirators and others as the residence of Lord Monteagle; it is now used as a farm house; the estate on which it stands belongs to the Sterry family.
The manor of Barking, which is paramount all over the hundred, remained in the Crown till James I sold it to Sir Thomas Fanshawe; since then it has been in the families of Humphrey and Gore; it was purchased of the latter by Smart Lethieullier esq, and is now the property of Sir Edward Hulse bart, a descendant of Mary, the last heiress of the Lethieullier family.
The principal landowners are the marquess of Salisbury KG and Sir Edward Hulse bart.
The parish contains 12,269 acres of land and 351 of water; rateable value £122,601. The population of the entire parish in 1881 was 16,848. The population of Barking ward and town in 1881 was 9,203.
Rippleside consists of a number of scattered farms, extending from 1 to 3 miles
east of Barking, near the bank of the