UK Pub History and London

Search UK pub history, and London.

Ashendon, Aylesbury 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

Ashendon pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

ASHENDON is a parish and small village, situate 7 1/2 miles W. from Aylesbury, in the three hundreds of Ashendon, and union of Aylesbury. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, of the early English and Perpendicular orders, comprising chancel, nave, south aisle, and a tower containing three bells. In the interior is a tomb, covered with foliage, on which is a figure of one of the Knights Templars; it is supposed to commemorate Sir John Bugden, of Pollicott. The living, value 70 per annum, is a perpetual curacy, including the curacy of Dorton, in the deanery of Waddesdon, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Woodward Gardner; the Rev. Wm. Prichard is resident curate. It is supposed that a battle between Edmund and Canute was fought here, about 1016; but a doubt exists whether this happened at this place or at Ashdown in Kent. The parish comprises 1790 acres; population in 1861, 325.

Prichard Rev Wm. (curate)

Traders
Betts Thomas, carrier, Pollicott
Boughton Thomas, farmer
Figg Joseph, farmer
Figg Mary, grocer
George Amos, grocer and blacksmith
George Thomas, farmer, Pollicott
Griss Wm., schoolmaster
Maylin John, farmer, Pollicott
Parker Samuel, farmer
Ridgway Richard, farmer
Ridgway Wm., farmer, Watbridge
Saunder Thomas, parish clerk
Off Thomas, Red Lion & baker
White Thomas, farmer, Little Pollicott


Letters through Aylesbury


**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Thursday, 30-Mar-2017 19:55:52 BST