Brill 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co directory

Brill pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

Brill, formerly called Brehull, is a parish and ancient market town, seated on an eminence, in the old, but now dismantled forest of Bernwood, on the borders of Oxon and Bucks. It is in the second division of the three hundreds of Ashendon, N.W. from Thame, 8 S.E. from Bicester, 12 N.E. from Oxford, and 13 1/2 W. from Aylesbury. The Kings of Mercia had a palace here. The Conqueror retained Brill as part of the royal demesnes, and Edward the Confessor used to resort hither for the purpose of hunting in Bernwood forest; the remains of the palace which he occupied on these occasions being still to be seen. In 1205 King John spent his Christmas here. Henrys II. and III. also held their courts at this place. The manor was anciently held by the service of furnishing for the King's table 100 capons, when he chose to reside at his palace of Brill. In November 1642, Brill was occupied by the troops of Charles I, commanded by Sir G. Gerard, at which time a Parliamentarian attack was made, under John Hampden, but repulsed. The garrison was withdrawn on the fall of Reading. The church consists of nave, chancel, and tower, and was formerly a chapel of ease to Oakley. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to and held with Boarstall, rated in liber regis at 8 ; present value upwards of 100 per annum. The Rev. John Samuel Baron, M.A., incumbent. The independents and Wesleyans have chapels here; the former have also a chapel at Little London. There is a British and a National School; the latter is endowed with the interest of 2,000, bequeathed by Sir John Aubrey, Bart. Four Almslouses were endowed by Alice Carter, in 1591. A fair was granted in 1347, to Sir John Molyns, the observance of which is immemorially lost. The manufacture of pottery has been carried on here from the time of the Romans, but the trade is no longer flourishing. Near the town is a chalybeate spring, the waters of which have been successfully used in the cure of diseases. The parish comprises an area of 2600 acres; with a population in 1861 of 1432 inhabitants. Lady Aubrey is lady of the manor and patroness of the living.

Baron Rev John Samuel M.A., incumbent of Brill & Boarstall
Cartwright Rev Frederick Wm, (vicar) Little London
Clarke Rev Paul (Wesleyan)
parley Rev John (Independent)
Dodwell Emanuel esq., Brill house
Elliott John esq
E11iott Miss Mary
Knight Mrs Elizabeth
Hay Mrs Ann
Rawbone Mrs Ann
Smart Rev Thomas Gregory, curate of Brill and Boarstall
Smith Mrs Elizabeth
Spindler Mrs Elizabeth
Welford Mrs Sarah

Anstiss George, carpenter
Anstiss Thomas, builder
Barnes Thomas, farmer
Beck David, boot & shoemaker
Brooks James, grazier
Brooks John, farmer, Little London
Brown George, chimney sweeper
Badd Joaeph, shopkeeper
Burton Alfred, Sun Inn
Chounds George, farmer
Clarke Misses, ladies' seminary
Clark Wm., farmer, Clearfields
Couzens Sarah (Mrs) blacksmith
Darvell Thomas, baker
Ebborn John Jennings, builder
Franklin Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Frost Richard, farmer, Lapland
Frost Samuel, farmer, Cold Harbour
Garner Sarah (Mrs), Orphanage
Gibbs Bichard, saddler
Govier Henry, Chandos Arms
Gregory Ann (Mrs) national school-mistress
Greenwood George, tailor and land measurer
Greenwood Miss, milliner and dressmaker
Griffin James, farmer, Muzwell hill
Griffin John, farmer, Brillbury Hall
Griffin Thomas, draper
Gunstop Susannah (Mrs) farmer
Hawes Maria (Mre) farmer, Little London
Hilsdon William, blacksmith
Holt James, plumber & glazier
Home Thomas, brick and tile manufacturer
Hubbucks Henry, potter
Hubbucks John, wood dealer
Humphries Thomas, grazier
Hunt Wm., grocer & ironmonger
Hyde Alfred, grocer
King Ann (Mrs) grazier
Knight Thomas, surgeon
Lay Richard, farmer and sheep dealer
Lovegrove Charles, farmer
Manning Joseph, grocer and maltster
Mason William, baker
Maycock Miss, dressmaker
Mole Henry, carrier and shopkeeper
Monk Samuel, Swan Inn
Mortemore Michael, grocer, Little London
Mixey Henry, Brickmakers Arms
Norcott James, grazier
Norcolt Martha, brick and tile maker
Oakley James, carrier
Osborne Thomas, farmer
Parker James, carrier
Parsons Harry, miller
Parsons James, brewer & farmer
Parsons William, draper and postmaster
Phillips Mrs, milliner and dressmaker
Pickering Jonathan, baker
Pointer Thomas, grocer and parish clerk
Powell Richard, butcher
Preston John, brick & tile maker
Probets James, gardener
Probets William, farmer, Pole Trees
Probets William, gardener
Probets William jun, gardener
Pym John, carpenter, Little London
Quartermaaine James, general dealer
Rodgers David, miller and corndealer
Rolf Benjamin, Red Lion and mason
Rolf Philip, mason
Sargeant John, gravestone cutter and engraver
Sargeant William, farmer
Sargeant Wm, superintendent of police
Saunders Edward, Pheasant, and baker and farmer
Smith John, farmer, Park Pale
Smith Ralph, Rose and Crown
Smith Thomas Henry, farmer
Smith and son, auctioneers, appraisers and agents to the Farmers and Guardian Fire and Life assurabce
Sparkes Thos, national school master
Stephens Miss, dressmaker
Taylor John, cooper
Taylor Miss, dressmaker
Taylor William, grocer and coal merchant
Tirrell Richard, farmer, Little London
Tottenham Mary Ann, chemist
Turner Edward, farmer
Turner John, grazier
Turner William, grocer
Vaughan Thomas, carpenter
Wainwright William, brewer
Wakelin George, wheelwright and grocer
Wakelin John, shopkeeper
Walker William Gambier, surgeon, Manor house
Welford James, sawyer
Welford john, boot and shoemaker
Welford Ruth (Mrs), farmer
West John, tailor
Whichello Abiel, butcher
White John, carpenter
White John, grocer and mason
White William, mason

Post Office - Wm Parsons, postmaster. Letters arrive from Thame by mail cart at 7-30 am, and are dispatched at 7-45 p.m.
Carriers. - Oakley, to Thame, on tues , to Bicester, fri, to Oxford, wed. and sat. Mole to Thame, on tues., to Aylesbury, wed. and sat. Parker, to Bicester, fri., to Oxford, wed. 7 sat.

  • Email
  • TFL stations
  • And Last updated on: Sunday, 30-Jul-2023 14:55:09 BST