Edgcott pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Buckinghamshire. The Buckinghamshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
EDGCOTT is a small parish in the hundred and union of Buckingham, to which
it is 8 1/2 miles distant, and 7 1/2 from Bicester. The church is an old
edifice, dedicated to St. Michael, with square tower and three bells. The
living is a rectory, value £210, in the gift of Robert Bullock Marsham,
B.C.l., Warden of Merton College, Oxford, and lord of the manor. The Rev
Cloudesley Dewar Bullock Marsham, M.A., is the present rector. The
Independents have a small chapel here. The population in 1861 was 182;
Butler Richard, Three Horse Shoes, and butcher
Butler Joseph, grocer, baker, and draper
Butler John, farmer and carrier
Cross Ann (Mrs), farmer
Cross William, farmer
Edmans Mary Ann (Mrs), Fox Inn, and farmer
Holt Richard Head, farmer
Holt Thomas, farmer
Turner William, farmer
Letters throngh Bicester.
Carrier To Buckingham - Butler, on mon.
**** Provided By Kevan