History of Canning Town 1878
Canning Town 1878 Post Office Directory
Canning Town is a populous district, in Church Street ward, in the parish of West Ham, in the southern division of the county, hundred of Becontree, county court district of Bow, rural deanery of Barking, archdeaconry of Essex, and diocese of St Albans; it is also in the Easter Metropolitan Postal district, and within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal Court and of the Metropolitan Police. The Great Eastern railway has three stations within the district; the river Lea flows on the west to the Thames. Holy Trinity ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1868 from the parish of West Ham. The church, situated in the Barking Road, is a Gothic building, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, a tower with a small spire, also 1 bell and an organ; it contains over 1,000 sittings, all free and unappropriated. The register dates from the year 1867. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value £200, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans, and held by the Rev John Russell, BA of Dublin. St Lukes Church is in the early English style; it is a brick building and consists of chancel, nave and aisles. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value £200, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans, and held by the Rev Thomas Stevens, MA of Magdalene College, Cambridge. St Gabriels Mission Church is a plain brick building; the Rev David Hughes Francis BA of St Davids, Lampeter, is curate in charge. There is an Iron Mission Church near the Tidal Basin and St Matthews Mission Church in the Plaistow Road. The Catholics have a chapel, with schools. The Peculiar People, Baptists, Congregationalists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Methodist Free Church and Presbyterians have each places of worship here. A Police station was erected in 1863. There are Board and National schools. The Victoria (London) docks are in Plaistow Marsh; these docks, designed for ships of the largest burthen, cover an area of 100 acres, and have an entrance lock, 325 feet long by 80 feet wide, with nearly 28 feet depth at Trinity High water. A branch of Her Majestyís Customs is established here, and under the same roof the London and St Katharine Dock Company, Victoria (London) docks, transact their business. The Victoria Dock pier is at the entrance, and there are chemical manufactories on the banks of the Thames and large creosoting works and iron shipbuilders in the parish. The area of Holy Trinity parish is 433 acres, and the population in 1871 was 7, 697.
Official Establishments, Local Institutions etc
Post & Money Order Office, Savings Bank, Government Annuity & Insurance, Victoria Dock Road, Joseph Clement, receiver
Post & Money Order & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank, Victoria Dock Road, Joseph Cherry Osborne, receiver
General Fire & Life, Norman, Son & Greensted, 1 Victoria Dock Road
Prudential Life, Henry William Greensted, Cromwell House, Barking Road
London & St Katharinesís Dock Co (Charles Norman, sup; Charles Barithwaite, asst supt; Capt Geo B Linch, dock master; Richd Holloway, asst dock master; Michl Adamson, assistant engineer), Victoria Docks
Police Station, Victoria Docks, Edwd Ellis, chief constable
Places of Worship:-
Holy Trinity Church, Barking Road, Rev John Russell, BA, incumbent
St Gabriels Mission Church, Wellington Street, Rev David Hughes Francis, BA, curate in charge
St Lukes Church, Nelson Street, Rev Thos Stevens, MA, incumbent
Iron Mission Church, North Woolwich Road
St Matthews Mission Church, Plaistow Road
St Margaret & All Saints Catholic Church, Barking Road, Rev Richard Hickey & Rev Nicholas Drew, priests
England Presbyterian Church, Lilliput Road, Rev T Howell, minister
Congregational Chapel, Barking Road
Mount Cion Christianís Chapel, Barking Road
Peculiar Peoples Chapel, Church Street
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Mary Street, rev John Hawkey, minister
United Methodist Free Church, Shirley Street
Victoria Docks Union (Congregational) Church, Rev Josiah Foster, minister And Last updated on: Thursday, 04-Feb-2016 23:25:46 GMT
What I am now attempting to achieve is the coverage of an earlier London
street directory in 1832. This is unique, plus
images of the 1842 Robsons directory which confirm earlier entries and also
carry much more trade detail about a premises or person. Here is the index of streets in 1832, many with
1842 imagery added.
And next is the complete 1940 London street directory - this will take some months to complete, so bear with me!
London pub history directory.
London Street Listings in 1832.
London street listings in 1842
London Street Listings in 1818 - mainly A and B.
London public houses in 1833 Pigots.
Entire London Street Listing in 1843 - by surname.
London public houses in 1856.
London public houses in 1869.
London public houses in 1899
London 1921 Street directory in 1921
London 1940 Street directory 1940
London Pubs in 2018