Pub history - The Carlton Tavern was once owned by the Carnaby family.

The Carlton Tavern was once owned by the Carnaby family. It was closed and demolished on 7th April 2015. End of story for most pubs, but this is a Carnaby pub!

The Carlton Tavern in Maida Vale was originally built before 1864, but was bomb damaged in the first world war when on the 19th May 1918 a war time bomb landed on the Carlton Tavern, badly damaging the pub and a couple of days later both Arthur Stribling (aged 48) and his son Arthur G Stribling (aged 7) died of their injures in St Mary's Hospital, Paddington. His wife survived. 

Carlton Tavern, 33 Carlton Vale, NW6 - Licensee A Stribling, bombed in 1918

Carlton Tavern, 33 Carlton Vale, NW6 - Licensee A Stribling, bombed in 1918

Attribution to CC BY-SA http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

Thomas John William Terry took over the bomb damaged pub shortly afterwards, he lived at 308 Essex Road, Islington.

Thomas John William Terry

Thomas John William Terry

Thomas John William Terry was the licensee at the "Green Man",  Halliday Walk (later Mildmay Street) in 1915-1917. He also had the "Carlton Tavern", which he took over in 1918. He was the licensee at "Foresters Arms" Loughton in 1918 (where his first wife Elsie died). Then he was the licensee at the "Gower Arms" Store Street in 1923, and the licensee in 1925 - 1926 at the Denbigh Arms, Denbigh Place, with his second wife Florence Ellen. When Thomas John William Terry died in 1930 (aged 41), the probate shows him at the "Beaumont Arms" Uxbridge Road. I am not sure whether his second wife Florence Ellen continued there.  He was my Grandmother Carnaby's Brother. 

John James Carnaby

John James Carnaby

John Carnaby's Grand Father took over the Carlton Tavern from his Brother in Law in August 1920.

The pub couldn’t be lived in due to the old bomb damage, so each day he travelled backwards and forwards from 52 Oakley Road, Islington to run the pub up until he left to take over the Parrs Head, Camden Town around 1921.

John Carnaby and Margery Elbourne  on their wedding day in 1934 at the Parrs Head, and with Mrs Millicent Rebecca Carnaby just behind.

John Carnaby and Margery Elbourne on their wedding day in 1934 at the Parrs Head, and with Mrs Millicent Rebecca Carnaby just behind.

Mrs Millicent Rebecca Carnaby, Parrs Head. 1929 - 1947

When John James Carnaby (Senior) died in 1929 the Parrs Head was
then taken over by his wife, Millicent Rebecca Carnaby 1929 – 1947.

It is interesting to mention that in 1888 both T W J Terry and his Sister M R Carnaby (nee Terry) were living with their parents in the Crown and Dolphin Public House, 10 Stepney High Street. Then later they were both educated in the Licensed Victuallers School, Kennington, Lambeth.

Mr J.J.Carnaby junior Parrs Head. 1947 – 1971   class=

Mr J.J.Carnaby junior Parrs Head. 1947 – 1971

The Parrs Head was later taken over by her son Mr J.J. Carnaby junior, 1947 – 1971. J J Carnaby and his wife Margery then retired to the Licensed Victuallers Association home in Harlow, Essex.

In 1920, Charringtons rebuilt the pub. You can view its history through the years at the pubwiki. Peter McGee photographed the Carlton the day before being demolished as did Historic England who had photographs of every minor historical detail.

Carlton Tavern, 33 Carlton Vale, NW6 - demolished on 7th April 2015

Carlton Tavern, 33 Carlton Vale, NW6 - demolished on 7th April 2015

Kindly provided by John Carnaby

James Tapper of the Guardian / Observer wrote about the Carlton in March, 2021 and its historical interest as a community pub and also as a grade 2 listed building by Historic England. Greedy developers flouted the law, and demolished the Carlton; and six years later, on April 2021, a newly built Carlton opened its doors again thanks to a fantastic campaign to have it rebuilt.

And Last updated on: Saturday, 08-Oct-2022 13:16:04 BST