The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
BERDEN, or BERDON, a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford, and county of Essex; 4 and ½ miles NW of Elsenham r. station, and 6 N by W of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post-office under Bishop-Stortford. Acres, 1,771. Real property, £2,856. Pop., 414. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. A small Augustinian priory was founded here in the reign of Henry III.; was given, at the dissolution, to Henry Parker; and passed to the hospitals of Christchurch, Bridewell, and St. Thomas. The living is a p. curacy in the disocese of Rochester. Value, £170. Patron, Christ's Hospital. The church needs repair. The Rev. Joseph Mede, author of "Clavis Apocalyptica," was a native.
Transcribed by Noel Clark