Pub history and London

INGATESTONE, FRYERNING, MARGARETTING STREET, MOUNTNESSING AND HUTTON

Ingatestone 1831 Census

Submitted by Trudi Barr and Transcribed by Essex Villages

Ref: D/DU 407/1

Taken on 2nd May 1831

Please Note: Ages were not specifically asked for in 1831, but all males over 20 had to be shown as such.

The enumerator usually put ?20? in these cases, though occasionally actual ages are given.

 

No: 1

Ing Hall - Old Mansion inhabited by 5 families: 1 cottage by 2 families and 1 empty, Farmhouse empty.

COVERDALE Wife/58

 

No: 2

 

No: 3

 

No: 4

2 Sisters/Visitors/20

 

No: 5

 

No: 6

Double cottage in Stock Lane

 

No: 7

Cottage in Stock Lane

 

No: 8

10 Alms Houses

10 Poor Aged/7 Females & 3 Males/20

 

No: 9 

Cottage in S. Lane

 

No: 10

Rectory House - 17 in family

Children under - 1 Boy & 6 Girls

 

No: 11

Buttsbury Stock Lane Cottage

Children - 4 Girls & 3 Boys/No Lodgers

 

No: 12

Stock Lane Cottage

 

No: 13

Ingatestone Town

 

No: 14

 

No: 15

 

No: 16

 

No: 17

1 Girl Child Lodger

Apprentice Lodgers

 

No: 18

Fryerning

 

No: 19

Maidservant/20

 

No: 20

2 Girls at CLAYTON's/Under 20

Nurse to Mrs CLAYTON/20

 

No: 21

1Girl & 2 Boys under 20

 

No: 22

 

No: 23

New Inn

 

No: 24

 

No: 25

Children - 2 Girls

Maidservant/Under 20

 

No: 26

Stonefield Cottage

Child - 1 Boy/14

 

No: 27

 

No: 28

Lodgers

 

No: 29

 

No: 30

 

No: 31

(Deleted W.  

No: 32

 

No: 33

 

No: 34 

 

No: 35 

Jas. Wm. & Elizabeth all under 20

 

No: 36

Bell Inn

Old (Bows?) Lodger

 

No: 37

In Thomas DAWSON'S House

 

No: 38 

John  

No: 39

John DAWSONS Cottages

 

No: 40

Poor House  

 

No: 41

Leased to John GRIFFIN

 

No: 42

 

No: 43

 

No: 44

Crown Inn  

Lodgers

Housekeeper

Bob/Manservant

  

No: 45

 

No: 46

School next ye Malting

Girl/15yr

 

No: 47

Malting Cottage

 

No: 48

John DAWSON's Cottages

 

No: 49

 

No: 50

 

No: 51

Mrs DOWSING's two Cottages, Rent ?6. 10. 0

 

No: 52

Mrs FRANCIS Cottage let to

BARNS James & Wife/Labourer/20/Children - 1 Girl, 1 Boy & 1 Infant

 

No: 53

Turnpike Road, John SELF's 1st Cottage

 

No: 54

John SELF's 2nd Cottage

 

No: 55

Cable FINCH's Cottage

(In pencil Mr Geo. PALMER Garboldesham, Norfolk)

 

No: 56

Tan Office

 

No: 57

 

No: 58

WIFFEN's Cottages

 

No: 59

Trueloves

 

No: 60

 

No: 61

Benjamin HOGG's f. House

 

No: 62

Doves Farm

Servant & Maidnurse/20

 

No: 63

CUSACK's Double Cottage

 

No: 64

 

No: 65

EGLINGTON's Cottage

(deleted Wm. CLARK/Labourer/Lodger/Left)

 

No: 66  

 

No: 67

Mr COISVELT's Cottage & Barn

(Deleted, with gone away, John MOLAND/Gamekeeper & Wife/Children - 2 Boys)

 

No: 68

 

No: 69

Mr COISVELT's Double Cottage near the woods

 

No: 70

New Cottage or Lodge

 

No: 71

Wood Barns Farm

Maidservant

Manservants

(All deleted, with see entd above)

 

No: 72

A EGLINGTON's late PENNOCK's

 

No: 73

 

No: 74

Near Woolpack

 

No: 75

Begr (?) Hill

 

No: 76

(deleted maid servant & men servants)

 

No: 77

Dr Butler's Double Cottage

 

No: 78

HUSKARDS

 

No: 79

Downs SPILLFEATHERS

 

No: 80

 

No: 81

Dr BUTLER late SPACKMAN

 

No: 82

Maisonette

 

No: 83

Cottage entrance Maisonette (near the gate)

 

No: 84

Late NIGHTINGALE residence House

Old Robert/20

 

No: 85

The Hyde

Menservants

 

No: 86

Double Cottage (late DEARMAN)

 

No: 87

Old Cottage

 

No: 88

1st Lodge (next HURLOCKS)

Daughter laiden in Poor House with a girl

 

No: 89

2nd Lodge near Ingatestone entrance

 

No: 90 

The Hyde

 

No: 91

 

No: 92

Widows MARTIN's Cottages

 

No: 93

SHIPMAN's Cottages Double Tenements

(added above: 1 Girl & 1 Boy)

 

No: 94

(deleted: Cottage John  

No: 95

Henly Barns Farm

1 Daughter/19yr

1 Boy/20

(Labourer deleted)

 

No: 96

John BAKER's Farm Gent.

 

No: 97

John TABRUM's Farm. HARDING's

 

No: 98

Mill Green House

 

No: 99

House

 

No: 100

BARRETT's Cottages

 

No: 101

Fryerning

THOMSON Widow//20/Cottage/Children - 2 Boys - 11 & 15

 

No: 102

FITCH W/Farmer/House

FITCH Mrs/1 Boy Infant

 

No: 103

ROLF Jas. & Wife/Labourer/Inmate/Cottage

  

No: 104

Late WARD's Cottages

 

No: 105

White House Farm. Jos ANDREWS

 

No: 106

Glass House Farm. Jos ANDREWS

 

No: 107

BALLS Cottages

 

No: 108 

 

No: 109

 

No: 110

 

No: 111

 

No: 112

Miss HUNT's Cottage

 

No: 113

DAWSON's Cottages

 

No: 114

BUTLER's Cottages near Box Wood

 

No: 115

Lord PETRE's Cottage

1 Girl & 2 Boys/Lodgers or Inmates

 

No: 116

John SELF's Cottage

 

No: 117

Wm DOWSING's Cottage

 

No: 118

BARNATT's Cottage

NB. Boy lives with W. Law

 

No: 119

Brickiln House

 

No: 120

Wm FINCH Late CRAMP's 

2 boys 12 & 16 were come from Bastard?s

 

No: 121

 

No: 122

Wm FINCH Late MATTHEWS

 

No: 123 

Wm FINCH Cottage

2 Bastards - 1 Girl & 1 Boy/ADKINS supposed father

 

No: 124

 

No: 125

Lord PETRE's Land

 

No: 126

(Gy?) is not Maidservant/20

 

No: 127

Ivy Barn Lane

 

No: 128

 

No: 129

Henly Green

 

No: 130

 

No: 131

 

No: 132

HOLCOMBE Estate

 

No: 133

 

No: 134

 

No: 135

ROOT's Cottage

 

No: 136

SEACH James & Wife/Labourer/Children - 2 Girls & 2 Boys/Inmates

 

No: 137

Stonefield

 

No: 138

Chas./Lad/17yr

 

No: 139

2 Boys under 20

Lad/10yr

 

No: 140

1 Boy/14yr

 

No: 141

Tom DAWSON's House (In pencil)

 

No: 142

In John DAWSON's House

 

No: 143  

 

No: 144

 

No: 145

Crown

Mr DEAN Wife

2 Girls & 1 Boy

 

No: 146

 

No: 147

Old

Pigot's Essex 1832-3 Trade Directory

INGATESTONE, though once a market town, can now only be designated as a village, It is in the hundred of Chelmsford, situated on the main road between that town and Brentwood; distant six miles from the former, five from the latter, and 23 from London.

The church is a venerable brick building, standing in the centre of the village, and contains many costly monuments of the Petre family. The ancient mansion of that family is in the vicinity of this place, and is an antique but irregular pile; the one now inhabited by them is at West Thorndon, and is a very splendid edifice. Here are, also, a methodist chapel and a Sunday school. The living here is a rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Lewis. A fair is held on the 1st of December, for cattle, and is pretty well attended. The number of inhabitants, by the recent returns, was 789, being an increase since the census of 1801, of 144 persons.

FRYERNING is a village, about one mile from Ingatestone, and in the same hundred. The church stands in an elevated situation, from which a great breadth of prospect is commanded; it is an ancient building, with a tower and five bells: the living is a vicarage, enjoyed by the Rev. George Price. The number of inhabitants in 680, who are chiefly employed in agriculture.

MARGARETTING STREET or Margretting Street is, a pleasant village, in the same hundred, lying between Ingatestone and Chelmsford; two miles from the former, three from the latter place, and about 24 from the Metropolis. There are several fine seats in this parish, among which are, 'Coptfold Hall,' 'Writtle Park,' & the noble mansion of C.W. Sidney, Esq. &c. The church is a small neat building, with a spire; it is dedicated to St. Margaret, and is a rectory, of which the Rev. - Jesse is incumbent. Here are 19 almshouses, erected at the expense of the parish. The number of inhabitants if 545.

The village of MOUNTNESSING, in the same hundred, is pleasantly situated on the mail-road, between Brentwood and Chelmsford; three miles from the former, eight from the latter place, and 21 from London. It stands on a rising ground, embracing various and pleasing scenery, to which some elegant seats contribute much. Here is a small church with a spire, about one mile and a half from the village. It is a place of no trade; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Their number is 796.

HUTTON is a village, in the hundred of Barstable, situated in a hollow, between Brentwood and Billericay, about three miles from either place. It contains nothing worthy of observation. Population, 381.

POST OFFICE, INGATESTONE, William Whichcord, Post Master. - Letters from LONDON arrive every night (Sunday excepted) at eleven, and are despatched every morning at four. - Letters from NORWICH, YARMOUTH and all parts of SUFFOLK and NORFOLK, arrive every morning at four, and are despatched every night (Sunday excepted) at eleven.

COACHES & CARRIERS. To LONDON, and most parts of NORFOLK and SUFFOLK, are passing thru' Ingatestone daily.

Transcribed by CG

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866

FRYERNING, a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex; near the Eastern Counties railway, 1¼  mile NW of Ingatestone r. station. Post-town, Ingatestone. Acres, 1,370. Real property, £3,155. Pop., 707. Houses, 144. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £288. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £13.

HUTTON, a village and a parish in Billericay district, Essex. The village stands 2½ miles W of Billericay, and 3¼ NE of Brentwood r. station; and is an ancient place. The parish comprises 1,699 acres. Post-town, Brentwood. Real property, £2,626. Pop., 400. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. Hutton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £390. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is early English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a spire; and was recently in disrepair. There are a national school, and charities £38.

INGATESTONE, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chelmsford district, Essex. The town stands on the Eastern Counties railway, 5 miles NE of Brentwood; is but partly in Ingatestone parish, more largely in Fryerning parish; took its name form the words "ing", "atte", "stone", signifying "the meadow at the mile-stone"; is supposed to be on a Roman road, at a spot where a mile-stone stood; was, at one time, a place of much importance, with a considerable market; consists now chiefly of one street; and has a railway station, a head post-office, a good inn, gas-works, a church, and Independent chapel, alms-houses, and a cattle fair on 1 and 2 Dec. The church has a lofty brick tower, and contains monuments of the Petre family. The alms-houses were founded in 1157, for 12 poor Roman Catholics, by Sir William Pere, Bart.; and rebuilt in 1840, by Lord Petre. The parish comprises 2,678 acres. Real property, £5,023. Pop., 882. Houses, 200. The property is divided among a few. Ingatestone Hall is a very ancient irregular edifice; was formerly a seat of the Petre family; is now occupied by several Roman Catholic families; and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel. The Hyde is the seat of the Disneys. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Buttsbury, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £561. Patron, Lord Petre.

MARGARETTING, a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Wid, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 2 miles NE of Ingatestone, and 5 SW by S of Chelmsford; and has a post-office under Ingatestone. The parish comprises 2,259 acres. Real property, £3,708. Pop., 483. Houses, 110. The property is much sub-divided. Peacocks is the seat of G. Straight, Esq. Killigrews was a moated seat, visited by Henry VIII.; and became a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £191. Patron, the Rev. M. Barnard. The church stands near Ingatestone; and consists of nave and aisles, with wooden belfry. There are a charity school, and charities £9.

MOUNTNESSING, two villages and a parish in Billericay district, Essex. The villages are Mountnessing and Mountnessing-Street; and they stand on a branch of the river Wid; the former 2 miles S by W of Ingatestone r. station, and 3¾  NE of Brentwood; the latter adjacent to the Great Eastern railway, 1½  mile NW of the former. The parish has a post-office under Brentwood, and comprises 4,005 acres. Real property, £7,017. Pop., 844. Houses, 176. The property is divided among a few. Thoby priory here was founded, in 1141, for Augustinian canons, by Michael Capra Roisi; had, at the dissolution, an income estimated at £75; and has left some remains. A mansion bearing the name of Thoby Priory, is the seat of C.R. Vickerman, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £117. Patron, Lord Petre. The church comprises nave and two aisles, and was recently in disrepair. There are a school with £30 a-year from endowment, and charities£23.

Transcribed by Noel Clark

KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF ESSEX 1933

INGATESTONE is an ancient town, consisting chiefly of one street, of which the larger portion is in the parish of Fryerning, on the ancient road from London to Chelmsford, with a station on the main line of the London and North Eastern railway to Colchester and Ipswich, 23 miles from London, 6 south-west from Chelmsford, 5 north-east from Brentwood and 28 south-west from Colchester, in the Chelmsford division of the county, Chelmsford hundred, petty sessional division, rural district and county court district and deanery of Barstable, archdeaconry of Southend and Chelmsford diocese. The town is lighted with gas from works near the railway station. The river Wid flows through the parish. By Local Government Board Order 22,420, dated March 24, 1889, Fryerning was amalgamated with Ingatestone, and the civil parish is known as Ingatestone and Fryerning. The town is supplied with water from a reservoir at Mill Green, the supply being obtained from the chalk by an artesian well bored in 1901. The church of SS. Edmund and Mary, is a building chiefly of brick in various styles, and consists of a chancel of three bays, with north and south chapels, nave of three bays, south aisle dating back to 1100, and a lofty brick tower at the west end, with a machicolated parapet, indented battlements and low pinnacles at the angles, and containing a clock and 6 bells, dated 1610, 1660, 1701, two 1758 and one 1923: the tower, a noble piece of brickwork, was raised in the 15th century and is remarkable for its bold detail and fine proportions: the nave dates from early in the 15th century: the chancel is of later date and has two floor slabs of Purbeck marble, one of which has an inscription, in Lombardic letters of the 16th century, to Gertrude Tyrrell, of Warley: here also is the fine monument of Sir William Petre kt. LL.D. ob. 13 January, 1572, and Anne (Browne), his second wife, consisting of an altar tomb, wrought in alabaster and other marbles, with superbly executed recumbent figures and above the Petre arms, enriched with foliage and suspended over the tomb is an ornamental frame of iron: in the south chapel is a costly monument to Robert Petre, youngest brother of Sir William, ob. 1593, with his mail-clad effigy, kneeling under an arch supported on Corinthian columns; near this is another mural monument with portrait in relief, to Captain John Troughton, ob. 1621: in the north chapel is a stately monument with kneeling effigies to Sir John Petre kt. M.P. for Essex, 1st Baron Petre of Writtle, ob. 11 October, 1613, Mary (Waldergrave) his lady, and Catherine, wife of their son William, and Baron Petre, ob. 5 May, 1637, who erected this memorial: there are other tombs and monuments to various members of this house from the 16th century to 1713: the handsome lectern was presented to the church by Edwin Caldecott esq. in memory of Ellen Caldecott, who died March 29, 1883. The church will seat 350 persons. The living is a rectory, with that of Buttsbury annexed, joint net yearly value £595, with glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1919 by the Rev. Robert Pemberton M.A. of University College, Oxford. The Roman Catholic church of SS. John and Erconwald was erected and consecrated in 1932: the building is of oak and red brick, with seating for 120 people. There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1813, seating 330 persons, and at Mill Green a baptist mission hall. A cemetery was formed in 1900, and is under the control of the Parish Council. Almshouses for twelve poor Roman Catholics were founded in 1557 by Sir William Petre kt. and rebuilt by William Henry Francis, 11th Baron Petre, in 1840: the income is £184. In 1776 the Rev. Thomas Ralph left by will 20s, to be given in bread at Easter; in 1804 Rosamond Bonham left the dividend of £100 Consols for Sunday schools; in 1806 Mrs. Hannah Rayner left £50 Navy Fire per Cents. for the benefit of ten almshouses for the poor for ever: this last charity is now, however, merged in that of Sir William Petre. Ingatestone Hall, the seat of the Petre family, is an ancient and irregular pile and one of the few fine mansions of the olden times left in Essex, as, erected in the 15th century, it was a grange or summer residence, belonging to the Abbey of Barking, and was originally built with two quadrangles and a stately tower gateway; of the house only three sides of the inner court now remain, an octagonal staircase turret in the south-east corner of he quadrangle forming one of the principal features; there are two priests' "hiding places," one beneath a room on the middle floor, down to which, through a trap in the floor, an ancient ladder conducted, and the other is on the ground floor: attached is a Roman Catholic chapel, dedicated to SS. Erconwald and Edelbergha. The Hyde, the property and residence of Edgar Norton Disney esq. stands in well planted grounds of 50 acres; the noble hall was built by Sir William Chambers in 1760. The trustees of Lord Petre, who is a minor, are lords of the manor, and with E. N. Disney esq. are the chief landowners. The area of Ingatestone and Fryerning is 4,117 acres of land and 16 of water; the population in 1931 was 2,352 in the civil and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1921, 1,897.

Post: M. O. T. & T. E. D. Office (letters should have Essex added). Open 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; sundays, sale of stamps, registration &c. & telegraph, 9 to 10.30 a.m.

Post & Tel. Call Office, Mill Green. Letters through Ingatestone, which is the nearest M. O. & T. office

Ingatestone & Fryerning Parish Council Fire Brigade

TERRITORIAL ARMY

Essex Group Anti-Aircraft Searchlight Coys; headquarters No. 4 (Ingatestone), Section 311 A. Searchlight Co. (Sergeant Geo. Pinckney, instructor)

Railway Station (L. & N. E. )

Conveyance. - Daily service of omnibuses through to Bow, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Ilford, Romford, Shenfield & Stratford

Carriers to Chelmsford, William Rolph, fri & Edward James Holliday, tues , thurs & fri.; to Romford, William Rolph, wed

 

Although not mentioned below, there is a memorial to the dead of both world wars in Margaretting. Photographs of which can be seen HERE.

MARGARETTING is a parish, on the Roman and modern road from London to Colchester, 2 miles north east from Ingatestone station on the London and North Eastern railway, 5 south-west from Chelmsford navigation, 5 north from Billericay, 7 north-east from Brentwood and 25 from London by road, and in the Chelmsford division of the county, Chelmsford hundred, petty sessional division, rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Barstable, archdeaconry of Southend and Chelmsford diocese. The Wid stream flows through the parish. The church of St. Margaret, situated one mile south of the village, consists of chancel, nave, south aisle with chapel, vestry, north and south porches and a wooden tower with shingled belfry and spire at the west end containing 4 bells, each of which bears a dedication in old English characters; the smallest dates from about 1525: this church is a noble example of the Early Perpendicular style of the period of Henry VI highly, elaborated and still complete in design: the font is a magnificent work of the same date, octangular in form and panelled and highly moulded in the plinth as well as in the shaft and top: the north porch is a fine example of timber work, the design is perfect and of the carved tracery and other ornamental work much still remains: the church was restored in 1870 and in 1931, and has 215 sittings. The register dates from the year 1628. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £309, with residence, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1928 by the Rev. George Manfred Behr M.A. of Oxford University. George Baker esq. is impropriator of the great tithes. A village hall, seating 300, was erected in 1922. There are several small charities amounting to £30, distributed yearly. Coptfold Hall, the property and residence of Major Edward James Upton D.L is a modern mansion pleasantly situated on an eminence, in a small and thickly-wooded park of 40 acres. The trustees of Lord Petre, who is a minor, lords of the manor of Margaretting Hall, Major Edward James Upton D.L. lord of the manor of Coptfold Hall, are chief landowners. The soil is of mixed character; subsoil, loamy. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and beans. The area is 2,273 acres of land and 11 of water; the population in 1931 was 638.

MARGARETTTNG TYE is a small hamlet about one mile east.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office. Open bank holidays & sundays, 9 to 10.30 a.m. Letters through Ingatestone

Police Station

Conveyance.-Motor omnibus service to Bow, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Ilford, Ingatestone, Romford, Shenfield & Stratford, daily

 

And Last updated on: Thursday, 02-May-2019 17:42:09 BST