The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
COLNE-WAKES, a parish in Lexden district, Essex; on the river Colne and the Colne-Valley railway, 1 mile WNW of Chapel r. station, and 5¼ ESE of Halstead. It has a post-office under Halstead. Acres, 1,926. Real property, £3,978. Pop.,535. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Wakes. Creping Hall is an old moated house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £458. Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church is tolerable. Charities, £17.
Transcribed by Noel Clark